Scope Hold Unders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks this is how you get bad bullet performance and lost game. Sighting in 30-30 for extreme ranges and trying to shoot game at closer ranges with very high sight-in at 100 yds is asking for trouble.

All the deer I ever shot with my 30-30 died and were found while they were still hot.
Every deer no matter what range 20 yards to 217 yards was a pencil pass through with my 30-30 except 1
which was a hold under that was shot at 40 feet right between the eyes and blew the top of the the head off.

When I checked it in they asked me if it was antler or antlerless before I shot it.

You must know your gun and your ammo.
I found later I did not like the pencil pass pass through and quit using the 30-30 with 150 or 170 gr.

I know people who hunt Elk with the 30-30 and they get their Elk every year and they stated their max reliable distance is held to 250 yards on Elk.

I have had bullets in the .308 winchester and 30-06 that I did not like either for the fact of pencil through issues and quit using those.
Comes down to bullet choice and knowing the weapon.

All bullets for me in 30-30 were bad performers.
I have 125gr HP but have not used them on game yet.

My favorite now is 55 v-max from .223 I limit it to 250 yards also.
Sorry if I offend anyone with my 30-30.
Maybe I should put a disclaimer do not try this unless you are a proficient shooter.

Trung Si Ma

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which scope are you going to use?

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 with the EBR-2C MOA reticle mounted on an Area419 30 MOA scope mount designed for the Anschutz 1761. The scope does parallax down to 10yds and has 65 MOA travel. I've been very pleased with the Vortex scopes that I've used in the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom