Scope question on a Steyr Mannlicher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any chance the footprints and hole spacing are the same for front and rear, and you could reverse them? Sorry I don’t know these well enough to know for sure.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any chance the footprints and hole spacing are the same for front and rear, and you could reverse them? Sorry I don’t know these well enough to know for sure.
My plan is to get it on the bench this weekend and remove the scope and mounts. I’ll evaluate what direction I want to go. I wouldn’t even mind a classic open sight gun.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is good ol 06. I’d love a European caliber or a 243 would be really nice too.
I have some reduced hand loads that I shoot in my 03 Springfield that will clover leaf in this gun. Once I get the scope figured out, I can’t wait to see what it will do if I stretch it a bit.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a really nice rifle and you can’t beat that style in my opinion. I like those old books with the “way back then” prices and all the additional information.

Out of curiosity, what is that atop the scope?

That's a level , clamps onto the scope , certainly helps eliminate / control "CANTING".....

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is good ol 06. I’d love a European caliber or a 243 would be really nice too.
I have some reduced hand loads that I shoot in my 03 Springfield that will clover leaf in this gun. Once I get the scope figured out, I can’t wait to see what it will do if I stretch it a bit.

Be very careful with early 03's , heat-treating of receivers were bad , a dangerous situation.....Google info on it......Shoot straight & stay safe......

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be very careful with early 03's , heat-treating of receivers were bad , a dangerous situation.....Google info on it......Shoot straight & stay safe......
Thank you. Almost all of my loads are reduced. If I can get accuracy out to about 150 yards, I see no reason to beat up these old guns. Much less my shoulder and brass.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the front mount isn’t coming off. The screws are pretty much gone from the previous owner attempting to remove it. I may just run open sights until I figure out what I really want in the way of optics. Kind of like the idea of a lightweight stalker for still hunting. Now to find a gunsmith. I’d like to save the mount if I could but it’s not a deal breaker. Looks like it has an old Redfield logo on it
98F0C204-7639-4F75-850C-4CA8F7C01DB9.jpeg

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the front mount isn’t coming off. The screws are pretty much gone from the previous owner attempting to remove it. I may just run open sights until I figure out what I really want in the way of optics. Kind of like the idea of a lightweight stalker for still hunting. Now to find a gunsmith. I’d like to save the mount if I could but it’s not a deal breaker. Looks like it has an old Redfield logo on itView attachment 325413

O.K. , i understand your problem , many guys used "Lock-tite" on those screws , did U C evidence of it on the rear mount screws ?? ( just curious).....to get them out , U may try applying a bit of KROIL to the stuck screws , at least over-nite , then if possible give yourself a nice flat surface , then punch a dimple with a transfer punch or center punch so as to drill very carefully with a small left-hand drill , the stuck screw should come out..... the stuck ones assumed are the same dia. as the ones U removed , (a # 8 or 10).....#ed screws dia, = as # 8 x 13 + 60 = Dia,,,,,always works , # of screw X number 13 plus constant of 60 + Dia,.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom