"Scorched earth" vegetation killer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along the back fence is about a 2ft "sand bar" the length of the fence from the previous owner. What can I spray on it to keep anything from growing in it? There ARE two mature trees I'm not trying to kill, just preventing new stuff and killing off any small grass/weeds that have popped up.
I put Preen down last year which didnt seem to do much and I've sprayed it with lawn weed and crab grass killer and that did a bit but stuff keeps popping up.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no one-and-done solution to vegetation control. Some will work up to a year, but most flail in six months. I'd hit your local atwoods for their generic glyphosate. Look in the back in the farm area, you can get two and a half gallon jugs for 50% more than their one gallon jugs in the lawn care aisle. Wear your PPE.

Mix a little baby shampoo in as a cheap surfactant. A cap or two per gallon. That'll help it stick to the slick and waxy water repellent vegetation.

Good sprayers matter too. Best I've used is the Echo 2-gal from Depot.

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The generic glyphosate I get at Attwoods already has a surfactant in it. I use a 15 gallon electric sprayer on the back of my golf cart and have to spray a couple times a year. I mix it pretty strong and it kills everything, am careful around trees, just do not spray the leaves and you should be OK.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those scorched earth herbicides can be very touchy as far as what’s a safe distance and how delineated the kill/no kill border is.
If you want my advice, just do the 100% roundup in a small sprayer and hit it as needed, or get one of those Propane torches and burn it dead

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hyvar XL, BUT, it will kill your trees. If ya keep it about 6-7 feet from them you might be ok. Hyvar does migrate so keep that in mind if you use it.

Hyvar like hunter966 mentioned, but I've only had trouble with it migrating when it rained on it the day after I sprayed. Folks have miles of barren fence line around here thats about 2' wide. Crops grow right next to the barren ground, grass on the other side of the fence.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those scorched earth herbicides can be very touchy as far as what’s a safe distance and how delineated the kill/no kill border is.
If you want my advice, just do the 100% roundup in a small sprayer and hit it as needed, or get one of those Propane torches and burn it dead
I have my lawn sprayed professionally but I also spray my woods and stuff myself. I use the generic roundup with great results. I have problems with nutsedge and I use a product called sedge hammer and it works unbelievably well. It has a surfactant in it already. It won’t harm Bermuda either. It will also kill other kinds of weeds. For some reason it always grows even after having my yard sprayed twice a year.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my lawn sprayed professionally but I also spray my woods and stuff myself. I use the generic roundup with great results. I have problems with nutsedge and I use a product called sedge hammer and it works unbelievably well. It has a surfactant in it already. It won’t harm Bermuda either. It will also kill other kinds of weeds. For some reason it always grows even after having my yard sprayed twice a year.

Sounds like the mama used for years in the sandy Lomé yard in Bixby. It doesn’t hurt Bermuda either

Latest posts

Top Bottom