Scorpions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There I was...BVDs down to my knees.

You know it's gonna be a great story when it starts off like that. I've yet to see a scorpion in the wild having lived in TX, OK, AZ, CO, WY, ID, IL, MS, Algeria, Japan and maybe a few other places.
I agree, I have only seen one scorpion in the wild and it was in Oklahoma. I was buying an old 4 Runner from a guy out west of Lake Keystone. I can’t remember his name he was affiliated with an Indian tribe out that way his last name was Byrd I think. Great old guy, but when I was looking at the 4Runner out there his barn was crawling with little white/grey scorpions. And I never knew we had the in Oklahoma up until that moment lol

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, I have only seen one scorpion in the wild and it was in Oklahoma.
I’d never seen a scorpion outside of a zoo until I was a teen. We were in the open field north of the addition where I grew up (which is now overgrown with McMansions) when someone was digging in the side of draw and found a nest of them.

I haven’t seen one in the wild since then, although I know they’re out there. Apparently, they just don’t like the same kind of environment I do.

The guy I know who rolled over onto one did a lot of research on scorpions and how to eradicate them. He said the exterminator he eventually hired told him that the ones found in houses were usually found in fairly new houses—they move into the floor ducts during construction because it’s usually cool and most. They’re more difficult to kill with pesticides because, like spiders, they carry their bodies above the poisons, but unlike ants, they aren’t social and don’t groom each other, so they get minimal exposure.

He said the exterminator told him they come out at night to hunt, so glue traps near floor registers are fairly effective at eliminating them.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was bitten by one on the back of my hand once. Didn’t seem to be any more painful than a wasp bite. I realize everybody’s pain tolerance is different. See them more in the early stages of fall, I think they are looking for a winter home.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, I have only seen one scorpion in the wild and it was in Oklahoma. I was buying an old 4 Runner from a guy out west of Lake Keystone. I can’t remember his name he was affiliated with an Indian tribe out that way his last name was Byrd I think. Great old guy, but when I was looking at the 4Runner out there his barn was crawling with little white/grey scorpions. And I never knew we had the in Oklahoma up until that moment lol
I live in the Osage west of Sand Spring and they are everywhere out here, just about under every rock! We built a new house out here over the last year and a half and a few still get in the house every now and then so no bare feet. Have not been stung (yet) but glad to know it’s about like a wasp sting, tolerable but not pleasant.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There I was...BVDs down to my knees.

You know it's gonna be a great story when it starts off like that. I've yet to see a scorpion in the wild having lived in TX, OK, AZ, CO, WY, ID, IL, MS, Algeria, Japan and maybe a few other places.
My son in Pheonix sees them all the time at night. He likes hunting them with an ultraviolet light because they glow like the plastic things that came out of the play ovens kids had in the 70s.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen them in Muldro, Tecumseh, Spencer, Hackberry Flats.
They are all over the place.

You know what I do not see much anymore is this guy.
1685971652564.png

But i am not wading through marshes and creeks everyday flipping everything over just to find out what is under it either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom