SCOTUS - is going nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought we had two more conservatives on the SCOTUS?
Supreme Court Rules Woman Who Tried To Run Over Cops Can Claim Excessive Force Against The Officers

Albuquerque, NM – The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a methamphetamine-fueled woman who was shot while nearly running over two New Mexico State Police (NMSP) officers during a successful escape attempt should be allowed to pursue her claims of excessive force against the officers.

The NMSP officers have argued that Roxanne Torres was driving directly at them at a high rate of speed when they shot her on July 15, 2014, Courthouse News Service reported.

“I began to fire at the driver to stop that vehicle,” NMSP Officer Janice Madrid said after the suspect allegedly stomped on the accelerator and tried to mow them down, according to the news outlet. “I didn’t believe that I was going home. I was waiting for the impact.”

Torres managed to escape and wasn’t arrested until after she’d already taken herself to a hospital, but Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the 5-3 majority opinion that the “application of physical force with the intent to restrain” still qualifies as a seizure, even if the suspect “does not submit and is not subdued,”

Realizing this is not a ruling against the procedure of using deadly force.
It is a ruling the woman can sue.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supreme Court Rules Woman Who Tried To Run Over Cops Can Claim Excessive Force Against The Officers

Albuquerque, NM – The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a methamphetamine-fueled woman who was shot while nearly running over two New Mexico State Police (NMSP) officers during a successful escape attempt should be allowed to pursue her claims of excessive force against the officers.

The NMSP officers have argued that Roxanne Torres was driving directly at them at a high rate of speed when they shot her on July 15, 2014, Courthouse News Service reported.

“I began to fire at the driver to stop that vehicle,” NMSP Officer Janice Madrid said after the suspect allegedly stomped on the accelerator and tried to mow them down, according to the news outlet. “I didn’t believe that I was going home. I was waiting for the impact.”

Torres managed to escape and wasn’t arrested until after she’d already taken herself to a hospital, but Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the 5-3 majority opinion that the “application of physical force with the intent to restrain” still qualifies as a seizure, even if the suspect “does not submit and is not subdued,”

We live in bizarro world

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the recap of the shooting incident are accurate, her civil suit against the police should be about 30 seconds long. I envision a judge yelling at the lady and her attorney and throwing them out. But, clearly you never know these days.
it is new mexico

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without dashcam/bodycam I don't know.

I've seen several incidents on COPS where suspect tried to get the hell away, once apprehended the cop says "you tried to run over me!" when the footage clearly showed that not to be the case....

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

5-3? How long ago was this? There are 9 justices. Link?

Latest posts

Top Bottom