SCOTUS Nominee Judge Gorsuch Just SCHOOLED Feinstein on 2nd Amendment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2017-03-23-5ddd0a63_large.jpeg

2017-03-23-7dc22249_large.jpeg

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think she was trying to bait him into saying AR's are not covered by the 2nd or Heller and he didn't fall for it.
Not only did he not fall for it, he correctly articulated that our legal system is based on precedent, and that the courts are bound by that precedent, not what the judges--or other politicians--wish were the case. He has said similar before: "judges should instead strive to apply the law as they find it, focusing backwards, not forwards" (http://www.npr.org/2017/02/06/51333...-philosophy-contrasts-with-mentors-pragmatism) and
“My decisions have never reflected a judgment about the people before me, only a judgment about the law and the facts at issue in each particular case,” he said. “A good judge can promise no more than that. And a good judge should guarantee no less.”

A judge who is pleased with every ruling he reaches, Judge Gorsuch added, “is probably a pretty bad judge, stretching for policy results he prefers rather than those the law compels.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/us/politics/neil-gorsuch-confirmation-supreme-court.html?_r=0

These principles are important beyond my ability to put into words. Judges (and Justices) should rule upon legal principles, not desirable outcomes; getting to an outcome is a function of the political process, not judicial. The Supreme Court has held in many cases that a question is "nonjusticiable" on the grounds that it is a "political question:" one "which deal directly with issues that Constitution makes the sole responsibility of the other branches of government." Baker v. Carr, 369 U.S. 186 (1962).

His stock just went up a couple more points in my book, not because he gave the "right answer" on guns, but because he got there by the right process.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched about 2 hours of the hearings last week and watched an hour or so more online. Mr. Gorsuch impressed me more than any judicial nominee I've heard or read about. The Democrats opposition to Gorsuch's nomination is the most telling example of partisanship I can recall. I can't imagine a better qualified and reasonable person to sit on the court.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched about 2 hours of the hearings last week and watched an hour or so more online. Mr. Gorsuch impressed me more than any judicial nominee I've heard or read about. The Democrats opposition to Gorsuch's nomination is the most telling example of partisanship I can recall. I can't imagine a better qualified and reasonable person to sit on the court.

Agree. All of his responses were to follow the law as written.
I watched Sen Diane Feinstein's blurb about how she could not support him. I don't have the quote but the gist of it was she wouldn't vote for him because he would not consider the human factor or something like that in his decisions.
WTF does that mean? Disregard the law and because you like the way joe blow thinks you should not follow the law and side with joe blow?
I just don't understand that line of thought.

BlackRiflesBoy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very impressed with him. I can't believe the nonsense his opponents have pulled and the absolute spectacle they are making of themselves so they can tell their backers how hard they fought until the rules were so unfairly changed (just as they have done to get people they like confirmed).

Latest posts

Top Bottom