Scrap lumber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a scrap piece of 1 x 12 cedar? Preferably 12 to 18 inches long. Some scrap 1 x 2 would help too.

Our darn squirrels like to dig down in their feeder for seeds and nuts scattering the corn, etc under the feeder. They will sometimes get on the ground and eat it if our dog does not eat the squirrels first. I think a shelf a little below the feeder will catch a lot of it and the idiots will eat more. Also if I decide to give them more peanuts I can just put them on the shelf in a little basket I have.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lowes has a cart that has damaged,warped, water stained etc lumber. It’s really cheap and sometimes nearly free

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, I was leaving The Garage by Uptown grocery so I was right there anyway. Here’s the scrap cart. Looks like everything you need.
3B93E365-279D-4CC0-8B2B-3CF6A0172184.jpeg

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scrap cedar in that size will be darn difficult to find, and it isn't cheap.

I need to rebuild a couple of my raised garden beds, I used 1x12 cedar, its rotted out after all these years, and I'm shocked at the price.

This might help, would cost you a few bucks:

Many times I've gone to the "free stuff" bucket of scrap wood at Home Depot, and they almost always have the boards, with a grove cut in them, that is used to protect the lumber they sell when it comes in a big huge metal banded group of the regular wood. They bring in those big bundles by forklift, cut the metal band that keeps it all together, and toss out those roughly 2x2 boards with the groves the metal bands sit in and protect the pile from damage. Those are always free. I always have a use for them around here, this and that.

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the Cedar Fence Pickets. These are cheap. They carry different levels, but the basic ones are 6 feet long, 3.5 inches wide. $1.38 each at Lowes, for example. Get one, or 2 of them, cut to the size you want, glue & screw or nail to the other free scrap pieces I mentioned above.

Good luck to you.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AAAAHHHHH I have all you need here of scrap cedar but 1" probably not but I can plane it to 1"
Most is thicker.
Thicker would not hurt. How much do you want for about a foot long piece. Longer or shorter does not matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom