Security Cam Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Evidently I can't use a wired system. We have had two alarm companies come out, look over our home over, and leave, never to call back.
I now have unlimited wifi although it's not blazing fast, but it's there.

Thanks for the wink review Bryandp! Just ruled that one out.

Aw heck just buy a system and install yourself, easy peasy. When in my driveway two cameras on two systems are recording, I put them in myself in an afternoon. They are wired with the option to go online. Plus I do not pay a company to monitor anything, initial layout is all I have in them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aw heck just buy a system and install yourself, easy peasy. When in my driveway two cameras on two systems are recording, I put them in myself in an afternoon. They are wired with the option to go online. Plus I do not pay a company to monitor anything, initial layout is all I have in them.
Maybe I'm too picky. I didn't want any wiring ran outside of the home to be cut, and running them inside would be almost impossible with the style home we have.
The pro's didn't want to tackle it, and I'm not going to if they didn't. LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ring quality is pretty good, not great. It’s hard though when I’m comparing it to my 3mp, 4mp and 4K cameras.
I currently use two trail cams. One coming up the road, and one going down the road. I get face pics and tag numbers in two directions.
Probably leave those in place, but when away for awhile, I'd like the real time option.
I may order the Ring with the lights and alarm and see how it works.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently use two trail cams. One coming up the road, and one going down the road. I get face pics and tag numbers in two directions.
Probably leave those in place, but when away for awhile, I'd like the real time option.
I may order the Ring with the lights and alarm and see how it works.

Dennis, my brother installed the Ring Floodlight Camera at my parents house in Hawaii aboard the drive way at the peak of the garage/carport. I was surprised at the quality of the video. I will be getting a battery operated Ring camera for my front door and the hard wired for above my garage as i can go through the top of the wall above the garage door and use a plug in the garage. Don't have any easy access to power for a corded Ring camera by the front door. It also seems like a pretty reasonable system Ring provides to store all your videos from your cameras. $30/year for unlimited number of cameras you can access with your phone or other device seems good for what you get.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, my brother installed the Ring Floodlight Camera at my parents house in Hawaii aboard the drive way at the peak of the garage/carport. I was surprised at the quality of the video. I will be getting a battery operated Ring camera for my front door and the hard wired for above my garage as i can go through the top of the wall above the garage door and use a plug in the garage. Don't have any easy access to power for a corded Ring camera by the front door. It also seems like a pretty reasonable system Ring provides to store all your videos from your cameras. $30/year for unlimited number of cameras you can access with your phone or other device seems good for what you get.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!
The way my house is laid out is the driveway comes to the garage, and we can't see that area. The rest of the house has windows from floor to ceiling, so I just have to turn out the lights and can see 300 degrees unobstructed with the yard lights that never go out.
Thanks man!

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mark & Dave, do you mind sharing what systems you have? Or anyone else that would like to share.
I was looking at Amcrest, but have since moved to looking at Lorex which is now owned by Flir.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Co-worker has a Arlo pro and his video is good wyfi wireless and contained rechargeable battery I think I'm going with it

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could probably get by with a doorbell cam and light/cam over the garage. I think that would pretty much cover the front of the house, or at least the areas I'd like to watch. I'm going to research that abit.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ring doorbell cam and floodlight cam is $400, that's about the same as a full 4 camera system. What if someone snatches your ding dong cam? You got their picture but the got your camera. Seems like it would be easy for someone to put on a mask, grab you cam, come back in a week while your waiting for a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom