Security threats - approached in my driveway today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do. Almost all the time. If someone breaks into my truck to steal sh|t I'm not going to feel bad if they get my gun and do something bad with it. Any more than I'll feel bad if they break in my house and do the same. Criminals are criminals... I don't feel I'm offering them any kind of "opportunity" that they wouldn't have if they wanted to. Although I do have a lock box I occasionally use for it, but not regularly, no. I doubt all these members who leave a rifle in their trucks or trunks are going to pull them out and carry them inside every day at work or home, either. My truck is always locked with an alarm and visual indicator (flashing light). I don't feel responsible for criminal acts committed by people who are determined to victimize others. Just me, I guess.

Your choice, I understand your point, but completely disagree with you. I think it's very irresponsible as a gun owner, I hear too many stories of "my gun was stolen out of my car/truck" stories. Alarms deter, but don't stop the break in, they will smash/grab and run for the most minor stuff. Your stuff, your choice, just hate seeing more guns getting into the hands of the bad guys, certainly doesn't help build a strong case as responsible gun owners.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your choice, I understand your point, but completely disagree with you. I think it's very irresponsible as a gun owner, I hear too many stories of "my gun was stolen out of my car/truck" stories. Alarms deter, but don't stop the break in, they will smash/grab and run for the most minor stuff. Your stuff, your choice, just hate seeing more guns getting into the hands of the bad guys, certainly doesn't help build a strong case as responsible gun owners.

I understand. I just don't feel responsible to go to overly-extreme lengths to prevent criminals. Locking my truck and putting an alarm on is, in my mind, a couple of reasonable steps. Just like I don't feel responsible to keep my guns at home only in my safe. Got some in various spots.

So do you think someone should bring their rifle in all the time, too, or not carry it in their vehicle at all? It's a matter of degrees, I understand. But it's not the law. If it's an NFA item, my understanding is you have to go to greater lengths. But not for standard firearms. I'm not being argumentative at all. It's all about reasonable discourse, and I respect your position, completely.

<edit> Here's a question... what about at work? I'm not allowed to bring my firearm into work with me... so it's sitting alone in my truck all night, or I get to commute 3 hours a day unarmed. Does that change anything in your opinion?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand. I just don't feel responsible to go to overly-extreme lengths to prevent criminals. Locking my truck and putting an alarm on is, in my mind, a couple of reasonable steps. Just like I don't feel responsible to keep my guns at home only in my safe. Got some in various spots.

So do you think someone should bring their rifle in all the time, too, or not carry it in their vehicle at all? It's a matter of degrees, I understand. But it's not the law. If it's an NFA item, my understanding is you have to go to greater lengths. But not for standard firearms. I'm not being argumentative at all. It's all about reasonable discourse, and I respect your position, completely.

<edit> Here's a question... what about at work? I'm not allowed to bring my firearm into work with me... so it's sitting alone in my truck all night, or I get to commute 3 hours a day unarmed. Does that change anything in your opinion?

I think a lot of us are in the position where we can't carry in the building at work. It's a federal felony where I work.

The overwhelming majority of firearms stolen from vehicles are overnight residence burglaries (street, driveway and occasionally, unlocked garages). It's FOUO/LES information, or I'd tell you how many are stolen from law enforcement vehicles in the state in exactly that manner.

So yes, if my vehicle were parked in the driveway overnight, any firearms within would be take out and put back in, every day. I preach that all the time. It's not the law, but it's good PERSEC. I could care less if some thief ruins his eardrums with my stereo. I'd feel a lot worse if someone got shot with my firearm that I didn't take the time to put in the house overnight. FWIW, I keep one ready access gun in the house (no kids and only my wife and I have unrestricted access). The rest are locked in a gun safe when not in use.

If they steal it out of my car at work, well I was forced into that situation by fiat and I'm not going to internalize that. JMO, YMMV

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of us are in the position where we can't carry in the building at work. It's a federal felony where I work.

The overwhelming majority of firearms stolen from vehicles are overnight residence burglaries. It's FOUO/LES information, or I'd tell you how many are stolen from law enforcement vehicles in the state in exactly that manner.

So yes, if my vehicle were parked in the driveway overnight, any firearms within would be take out and put back in, every day. I preach that all the time. It's not the law, but it's good PERSEC. I could care less if some thief ruins his eardrums with my stereo. I'd feel a lot worse if someone got shot with my firearm that I didn't take the time to put in the house overnight. FWIW, I keep one ready access gun in the house (no kids and only my wife and I have unrestricted access). The rest are locked in a gun safe when not in use.

If they steal it out of my car at work, well I was forced into that situation by fiat and I'm not going to internalize that. JMO, YMMV

This^^^

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It sucks that thieves, are thieves. They are everywhere, and always looking for an easy score. Guns are a prize to them, they may not personally use them, but they are an item that sells easily, and for a decent amount. So anytime they find one in a car it's a prize for them, I try not to reward them in any fashion. My Truck sits outside at night, and there is absolutely nothing in it(other than some used floss picks..).

I don't carry a rifle in the truck so don't have that to deal with, I wouldn't leave one in there unless it were well hidden and secured. I've actually thought about one in the truck, and a place to hide/secure it, but haven't done it.

I also visit places where I cannot carry, so I secure it in my truck when I have to.

Good discussion.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I. do. not. like. strange. people. Especially the ones walking up on me that I do not know who also seem to be checking out all my chit. Trying trying to find out how much sound gear I have in my ride would be a big red flag. Luckily out here where I am rural but near a posh development we're all spread out, my other place back in CA Im miles from any one but my 2 close neighbors and we're tight with each other and look out after each other- theyre watching my place while Im here now. Wife has her vehicle and I have 3 here and 2 others back in CA and I usually try not to leave a gun in any of them overnight but not saying I havent, have a lock box under the seat of my K5 in CA and another in my SUV here but dont have one in any of my cars.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can have the local police to sit guard in your driveway and "Protect and to Serve" ......................... oh wait, I forget that it's not the Police's job to protect you from violence, it's to track down and apprehend the criminal after the fact.

Latest posts

Top Bottom