Seen a blimp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago -- 1984 -- When Goodyear had a Blimp stationed in Houston, TX -- whenever the aircraft would venture east -- they would spend the night at Lafayette, Louisiana Airport. They would setup a temporary mooring station at southern end of the airport. Late 1980’s went to Los Angeles to visit my wife’s family, saw the Goodyear Blimp operations from the freeway.

Visited one of the U.S. Navy’s Blimp hangers in Tillamook, Oregon -- The Blimp hanger was HUGH !!!!!! -- It had Air Museum written in big bold red letters on the hanger roof. -- thought it was written on the mountain wall in the backdrop. Inside the hanger was massive !!!!

http://www.tillamookair.com/hangar-b
Hangars One and Two at Lakehurst were known to form their own weather!

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw it about 9:30 this morning in Baxter Springs, KS. It was headed southwest, towards Tulsa. There is a NASCAR race in Texas, I’ll bet that is where it was going.
Yes, the Goodyear Blimp did the aerial coverage for the NASCAR All-Star race at Texas Motor Speedway last night.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of those in ages! You never hear anything about the Goodyear blimp anymore.

Many years ago, I used to have to go to Orange, CA, near Long Beach, and one of the Goodyear blimps was stationed there. The freeway went right by the mooring spot so I often got to see it up close.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve only seen a couple of blimps in person. I’ve always wondered what it would be like riding in it. I think they are pretty cool.

I grew up in So Cal, dad was a cop and he came by my school one day to pick me and my brother up. He was in a unmarked police car with my mom. Had no idea what was up.

In the car he says we are going for a ride on the Goodyear Blimp.

Pretty cool takeoff ... nose goes straight up. Ship levels out and you just put around really slow. I remember sitting by the door and it was rattling so bad my mom made me move. We cruised around LA and landed. Pretty cool way to get out of the 4th grade for half a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom