Self-defense gun for father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a 'what are your thoughts on my thoughts' kind of thing. My Dad is 80. I'm trying to get him in a handgun that he's comfortable with. He won't carry it much, mostly for home and car when they drive to the big city. He's had shotguns and a 22 revolver forever. For the last few years, he's had a mid size Sig in 9mm. He shoots a couple times a year, primarily when I make him.

He finds the Sig to be snappy and the anticipation of recoil prevents him shooting it very well. The other thing is when he grabs the gun for the first time, he has a tendency to bring his left thumb around back of the gun (right hander). He didn't do it last time we shot, so that habit may be broken, but it's still a concern that that seems to be his instinct after a long break between shooting it.

He shot my EZ 380 last time and preferred it for recoil.

Here are the things I'm thinking about.

Finding a low recoil 9mm round for the Sig and trying hard to at least get the grip down. Problem is, it's unlikely that he'll shoot it much more than couple times a year, so don't know if I'm confident we can kill the bad instinct there.

Give him the EZ 380, but that doesn't solve the grip problem.

Get some type of hammerless revolver with low recoil rounds. This is what I'm thinking may be the best option right now.

He also has a 22 magnum revolver, and part of me wonders if that might be an option. People use them (or have them) for self defense, but it's hard to for me to go there. Then again, he's 80 and hasn't done any training obviously. So, maybe an option?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He shot my EZ 380 last time and preferred it for recoil.

If he likes the 380 EZ that may be the best solution.

My mom also has a hard time racking a slide and handling recoil. I got her the S&W 380 EZ. She is able to rack the slide and the .380 is just light enough recoil for her to manage.

The other thing is when he grabs the gun for the first time, he has a tendency to bring his left thumb around back of the gun (right hander). He didn't do it last time we shot, so that habit may be broken, but it's still a concern that that seems to be his instinct after a long break between shooting it.

Give him the EZ 380, but that doesn't solve the grip problem.

Practice is the only thing that's going to solve that issue I'm afraid. The fact that it didn't happen the last time is a good sign the habit can be broken.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheapest route would be running some 147 grain HST and see if that helps. My 147 grain carry load has less recoil that factory 115 FMJ.

What Sig? I have a P320 X-Compact that is probably the softest shooting gun of the bunch. No light, but an RMR06 on top. If feels almost as soft as my 30 ounce P320.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheapest route would be running some 147 grain HST and see if that helps. My 147 grain carry load has less recoil that factory 115 FMJ.

What Sig? I have a P320 X-Compact that is probably the softest shooting gun of the bunch. No light, but an RMR06 on top. If feels almost as soft as my 30 ounce P320.

I can't remember which model Sig he has. I want to say it was in the P320 family, but it's been a year since I've seen it. I think its the only Sig I've ever owned. Probably worth a try finding some different ammo - at some point. I'm almost talking myself into the revolver realm for him, but appreciate the thoughts from everyone.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember which model Sig he has. I want to say it was in the P320 family, but it's been a year since I've seen it. I think its the only Sig I've ever owned. Probably worth a try finding some different ammo - at some point. I'm almost talking myself into the revolver realm for him, but appreciate the thoughts from everyone.

A wheel gun is a great weapon for those with little training or don't train/shoot regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom