Self-defense gun for father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple thoughts, the ammo subject has already been covered pretty well.

i agree with the sentiment of keeping him with a revolver if that’s what he is comfortable with. I would suggest a fully lugged barrel all steel revolver. The extra weight helps keep the weight down. My Ruger SP101 is great for this application. A little extra barrel also helps add some weight on the end.

Trigger jobs on revolvers are a piece of cake. There’s a great step by step guide on this forum, there’s some great videos on it, heck, I would be happy to help. A quick clean up and deburr does wonders for the action, without extra polishing and spring kit. That really smooths things up.

Adjusting weight around can help a bunch too. Weight added to the barrel reduces muzzle lift, weight added anywhere reduces recoil. Attaching a picatinny rail under the barrel for weight attachment. I’ve heard of putting weights under the grips. I’ve seen tungsten grips or tungsten grip insets. A sheet of lead under the grips would add very little width but add a few ounces.

I bet if you put all these together you’ll have a great revolver for him. With the add on weights and various action springs, you can get the trigger pull, firearm weight, and muzzle flip adjusted to where he can handle things like a champ.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a 'what are your thoughts on my thoughts' kind of thing. My Dad is 80. I'm trying to get him in a handgun that he's comfortable with. He won't carry it much, mostly for home and car when they drive to the big city. He's had shotguns and a 22 revolver forever. For the last few years, he's had a mid size Sig in 9mm. He shoots a couple times a year, primarily when I make him.

He finds the Sig to be snappy and the anticipation of recoil prevents him shooting it very well. The other thing is when he grabs the gun for the first time, he has a tendency to bring his left thumb around back of the gun (right hander). He didn't do it last time we shot, so that habit may be broken, but it's still a concern that that seems to be his instinct after a long break between shooting it.

He shot my EZ 380 last time and preferred it for recoil.

Here are the things I'm thinking about.

Finding a low recoil 9mm round for the Sig and trying hard to at least get the grip down. Problem is, it's unlikely that he'll shoot it much more than couple times a year, so don't know if I'm confident we can kill the bad instinct there.

Give him the EZ 380, but that doesn't solve the grip problem.

Get some type of hammerless revolver with low recoil rounds. This is what I'm thinking may be the best option right now.

He also has a 22 magnum revolver, and part of me wonders if that might be an option. People use them (or have them) for self defense, but it's hard to for me to go there. Then again, he's 80 and hasn't done any training obviously. So, maybe an option?
My "ex" wife loved her 22 MRF Ruger revolver, no recoil and plenty of "sting" to detour any crack soaked perp. She also had a 44 mag that I loaded reduced specials for her.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t read all the other post by a real nice compromise is the 32H&R mag or the 327 mag in revolvers. I have one in both caliber and they aren’t bad on recoil. Velocity and energy are capable in both rounds. Probably the biggest problem would be finding one.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another option - you may be able to find a Smith & Wesson Model 30-1 or 31-1 for fairly cheap. 6 rounds of 32 S&W long in a steel J frame. Order defense rounds from Buffalo Bore...

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option - you may be able to find a Smith & Wesson Model 30-1 or 31-1 for fairly cheap. 6 rounds of 32 S&W long in a steel J frame. Order defense rounds from Buffalo Bore...
^^ Good choice.
Charter Arms also made a 6-shot snub nose in .32 S&W Long, they first called it the Undercoverette and then the .32 Undercover.
Not the quality of a Smith but I'd like to find one to try it out.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave him my EZ 380 for now, and I'll keep looking for a revolver I like better. We shot again about a week ago and he seems to be better on the grip, but not sure that holds under stress. Still going to keep my eyes open for the revolver I think.

Thanks for everyone's input.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My recommendation is a Ruger LCR in .327 Mag. It can shoot .32 short * a very light load, ..32 long, .32 H&R (Hornady makes a Critical Defense round good for SD) and .327 Mag (probably to heavy recoil for him) each of those is a "step up" in recoil. The LCR has a very easy trigger pull if he has trouble with hand strength etc.
BTW, I have one new in box *not for sale) but if you will buy the ammo he can try it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom