Self defense shotgun loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In reference to our earlier conversation, maybe it would be beneficial for you to start reloading shotgun shells or maybe you could find a friend that can load some for you. If you were down here, I could definitely help you out.
He has a friend with a RCBS Progressive Shotshell loader that is set up and ready to run and willing to help.
:hey3:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modified has proven to give the best pattern for me with factory 00 buckshot for 30 years, but if it doesn’t tighten up with the next load, I plan to try an improved modified choke.

Truthfully, though I’m not satisfied, 8 pellets in a 14x16 square will kill deer or pigs.

Interesting video of the wire keeping the 00 pellets close. If I remember right, this was a home made round using copper wire that kept those pellets in a tight group.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Interesting video of the wire keeping the 00 pellets close. If I remember right, this was a home made round using copper wire that kept those pellets in a tight group.

Yes, that project would be relatively easy to replicate. I don’t think I have any wire that small, but I can pick up some on my next trip to town.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not legal for deer in Ok.
Yeah, I forget y’all have some backward laws. It’s legal here in TX, and I‘ve killed a bunch with it. When I lived in NE Texas, I had a friend that had never killed a deer with anything but buckshot, and he hunted for subsistence and not sport.

My point is it’s fun to speculate on what a good self defense shotgun load might be from reading articles and listening to utube “experts” that can only tell you what a load does when shooting paper and ballistic gel, but to actually see what a load does when shooting something alive is a whole different ball game. In a hunting situation, I’m actively trying to kill what I’m shooting at, but in a personal defense situation, my goal is to stop the threat.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom