Sell $$ bs trade dollars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out why folks inflate the value of the goods they’re selling for a trade value. It’s worth what it’s worth, it isn’t hard to say no thanks if it isn’t a good trade, and if it’s retail and you price it higher to get a better deal? Idk, my pops negotiated differently that this lol.

To me; I may take something more interesting to me that may very well cost less than the market value of what I own. I buy well so typically can do whatever I want for a trade, up, down or even. If it works, then it works.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they are saying cash is King,but I can’t speak for those folks.Like you, I’d probably just price my items for what they are actually worth.
I’ll scroll past those adds simply because it ain’t worth the hassle or time to mess with it, if we are starting at retail and then price it higher for my trade. Hard no thanks.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll scroll past those adds simply because it ain’t worth the hassle or time to mess with it, if we are starting at retail and then price it higher for my trade. Hard no thanks.
Your feedback number suggests you don’t scroll past very many adds. 🤣

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Cash is king. Most real trade value should be what the retail is for a widget if the widget is Brand New or something and maybe 20% over the asking cash value if said widget is used or used AF. I say this because one is taking a risk in taking in a trade vs cash.

Say this:
Billy has a brand new unfired tatergun for $800. New price is $1100. Trade would probably be $1100 worth of stuff. Billy does the trade with fellow OSA guy. Now Billy has an $1100 perceived value widget and tries to sell it coz he doesn't really need it. But now nobody wants it, so Billy's stuck and has to take it to GB or find some other sucker to trade it off to and he lost his brand new tatergun money.

OR
Billy has a used tatergun that's has 15 taters fired on it. He asking $600 cash or $700 in trade for stuff coz he knows it has a high tater count, and not the new price of $1100. Fellow OSA guy offers Billy $300 and a G34. Billy says no coz he knows that nobody wants G34s. So the guy offers $300 and 438 berdan primers plus a G43x and Billy says ok, because he knows he can sell the 43x for $400 and someone will give $10 for the primers so they can do stuff with them or ask OSA how to reload regular cartridges with them.

What Billy should not do is ask full retail cash and/or try to recoup taxes, fees, shipping, or gas and travel fees. WTF? Forgot to add OBO for cash.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll inflate my trade value price a bit because I’ll be trying to sell something for $600, I’ve already knocked off 20% to get it to move quickly, and am offering a fair price. I’ll then get some guy that wants to trade his used gun that msrp’s for $600, used street value is $400 at best, and comes at me saying it’s a fair trade. Because of that I tend to hike up my trade value number to compensate for that.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll inflate my trade value price a bit because I’ll be trying to sell something for $600, I’ve already knocked off 20% to get it to move quickly, and am offering a fair price. I’ll then get some guy that wants to trade his used gun that msrp’s for $600, used street value is $400 at best, and comes at me saying it’s a fair trade. Because of that I tend to hike up my trade value number to compensate for that.
This is what I always assumed was going on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom