Selling AR-15 pistols with a stabilizing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, but when did you install it? It was clearly installed on something, it has grease, threads look used, the barrel nut has marks, carbon in the barrel... what did you shoot it from? (rhetorical question)

When did you put it together? When did you take it off? (rhetorical question)

The point is it was, or it wasn't installed on something. If it was installed on something and you still have it in a less than 16" length then it means you might have either made a pistol or sbr.

If the ATF isn't stopped, people will be in deep water and it isn't stopping here. I am not a lawyer, but this is how it seems. This is very confusing to say the least. I'm not sure if following the 4 or 5 things the ATF says to do is actually enough with what they just pulled.
Being installed previously is irrelevant, the "rule" before was that they were okay to have. You can still have a pistol AR just not in the same configuration.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have this question now.

What about these micro conversion kits that you can get for your glocks, m&p's, & others that you slide & lock your regular pistol into that basically temporarily converts your pistol into something like a carbine? They have an arm brace!

View attachment 345864
Are these going to be on the next list of things to be registered?
Is anyone who has one of these to play with going to be a felon?
If you have one of these, it turns what was a legal pistol into a braced pistol which they consider SBRs now.

There is no stopping them if you give an inch, even if you think you are getting the benefit of something for free, (free tax stamp for something) you are not helping the problem at stake, you are helping the problem.

Mass & total non-compliance is the was to fight this.
I would like to agree with you. BUT, Who gonna have your back when they come knocking on your door?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just thought of something regarding this whole stupid concept of “constructive possession.” Leaving aside the notion that the ATF is now regulating perceived intent, what happens if you swap out the braced pistol’s barrel for a barrel that is at least 16” long - do they still have a hissy fit over you having a less than 16” barrel lying around?
You may be over-thinking the concept of constructive possession. If someone keeps their AR pistol in a drawer right next to a stabilizing brace, then, yes, that would likely be construed as constructive possession.

But, say that you do "swap out the braced pistol's barrel for a barrel that is at least 16" long", thus creating a legal-to-own rifle. If you kept said rifle in the safe, or tucked in a closet corner somewhere, and the 7", 9", or 11.5" pistol barrel stored somewhere else, in your parts box or boxes, in your workroom/workshop/shed/or garage, along with the attendant short forearm, I doubt that would be construed as constructive possession. Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer, and that "constructive possession" is a judgement call made on a case-by-case basis by the ATF.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"constructive possession" is a judgement call made on a case-by-case basis by the ATF.

This is why the ATF needs to be defunded, or at the very least told in no uncertain terms to stay in their lane. They‘ve gotten away with too much for too long, and I look forward to them getting b!tch slapped in court.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why the ATF needs to be defunded, or at the very least told in no uncertain terms to stay in their lane. They‘ve gotten away with too much for too long, and I look forward to them getting b!tch slapped in court.
Keep in mind, also, that you'd probably have to give the ATF some reason to go snooping around in your drawers (ahem!).

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A less than 16" barrel by itself isn't illegal.
Neither is having Black Powder (as most Muzzle Loaders do) but if you also have a section of threaded pipe and a couple of threaded end-caps setting around, even in your tool box in your backyard shed, you would still automatically get labeled, and arrested, as a bomb making terrorist.
Be careful about those " . . . by itself isn't illegal " beliefs which have a habit of getting all twisted around by enforcers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom