Selling AR-15 pistols with a stabilizing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So riddle me this. Are these dealers selling braced pistols and shipping them out? Or are they selling them and then doing the SBR submittal prior to shipping them out? If they are carrying on like nothing's happened that's a pretty dicky move.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So riddle me this. Are these dealers selling braced pistols and shipping them out? Or are they selling them and then doing the SBR submittal prior to shipping them out? If they are carrying on like nothing's happened that's a pretty dicky move.
Beats me. They can't legally transfer them until they've been registered with the ATF. After they are registered, only Class III dealers can sell them and all the NFA paperwork has to be done, and be approved by the ATF, before the transfer can take place, and that will take months generally. Here, once again, are the rules for transferring NFA firearms:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-9/download

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sh00ter, first things first. Braced AR style pistols are already SBRs, as of Jan 31, 2023. The 120 day grace period is to allow people to register their SBRs with the ATF. Some unscrupulous sellers may be trying to dump inventory so they don't have to register their SBRs, but they are treading on very, very thin ice. They are in fact trying to transfer unregistered NFA firearms and that is a federal felony. Class I FFL dealers cannot legally possess, nor can they legally transfer NFA firearms, and Class III FFL dealers must first register their braced pistols as SBRs--which will take months-- before they can then sell them. (In the latter case, the sale cannot be immediately completed on the spot, as all NFA procedures must be followed to allow for transfer, which usually occurs after a matter of months).

On buffer tubes, I simply do not know the answer.
Some of the ones I saw said "out of stock" so it could be that the various ads just have not been updated. Hopefully any dealers that still have them listed would inform their customers of the rule change if they actually tried to buy.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, a serious question for all the Doubting Thomases out there: If, while digging around in your dead Granddad's old cedar chest at the old home place, you find an unregistered machine gun, do you believe that you could advertise it on OSA and sell it in a face-to-face transaction?
Could I? Absolutely! Would I? Nope.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the ones I saw said "out of stock" so it could be that the various ads just have not been updated. Hopefully any dealers that still have them listed would inform their customers of the rule change if they actually tried to buy.
Many of the dealer sites that I looked at stated that if a brace was pictured on the gun, it would not be included when shipped.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know where people are looking online, but I checked Bud's Guns (AR pistols available, but none with braces), Primary Arms (sold out), Classic Firearms (AR and AK pistols available, but none with braces), and PSA, whose website notes that they "will no longer sell or ship pistols with stabilizing braces". Really, it is hard for me to imagine any FFL that wants to keep their license selling braced AR style pistols right now.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have this question now.

What about these micro conversion kits that you can get for your glocks, m&p's, & others that you slide & lock your regular pistol into that basically temporarily converts your pistol into something like a carbine? They have an arm brace!

3-1.jpg

Are these going to be on the next list of things to be registered?
Is anyone who has one of these to play with going to be a felon?
If you have one of these, it turns what was a legal pistol into a braced pistol which they consider SBRs now.

There is no stopping them if you give an inch, even if you think you are getting the benefit of something for free, (free tax stamp for something) you are not helping the problem at stake, you are helping the problem.

Mass & total non-compliance is the was to fight this.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What about these micro conversion kits that you can get for your glocks, m&p's, & others that you slide & lock your regular pistol into that basically temporarily converts your pistol into something like a carbine? They have an arm brace!

View attachment 345864
Is anyone who has one of these to play with going to be a felon?
If you have one of these, it turns what was a legal pistol into a braced pistol which they consider SBRs now.

There is no stopping them if you give an inch, even if you think you are getting the benefit of something for free, (free tax stamp for something) you are not helping the problem at stake, you are helping the problem.

Mass & total non-compliance is the was to fight this.
Have you looked at any of the atfs documentation? There may be pictures of similar things…

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 345864
Those are already on the list. One of these two links will have those things listed.
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regul...acefinalruleguidance-commerciallypdf/downloadhttps://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regul...racefinalruleguidance-non-commercial/download

Latest posts

Top Bottom