Selling AR-15 pistols with a stabilizing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many of you know, the ATF has ruled that those AR-15 pistols equipped with stabilizing braces are now short barreled rifles. ATF rule 2021R-08F went into effect one minute after midnight on Jan 31, 2023. After that date, no unregistered short barreled rifle (SBR) can be transferred (sold) to anyone for any reason, per the ATF. There is a grace period, lasting until May 31, 2023, to do something with those short barreled rifles. There are five possible options for possessors of such weapons. (1) Said weapon can be registered with the ATF as an SBR, (2) the short barrel may be removed and replaced with a barrel 16 inches or longer, (3) the brace may be permanently removed and disposed of, or altered in such a way that it cannot be reattached, (4) the weapon can be turned into the ATF, or (5) the weapon may be destroyed. Again, and this is the important point, an unregistered SBR cannot be transferred (sold) to anyone for any reason. Such weapons should not be listed in the OSA classifieds since they can neither be bought nor sold. (Once an SBR has been registered, it can only be transferred according to the rules for dealing with Class III weapons.)

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone who wishes to read ATF final rule 2021R-08F in its entirety:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-01-31/pdf/2023-01001.pdf
Please note that this information is posted in order to shed some light on the recent ATF rule. If all you want to do is quibble, carp, *****, or bellyache about the insanity or absurdity or criminality of ATF rule 2021R-08F, please start your own thread and do it there. Thank you.

Last edited:

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just take the brace off and then they can be sold and be proper looking for posting on OSA.

Problem solved.
If I read it correctly it's not enough to just remove the brace. You can't have the brace around any guns that would become an SBR if you installed the brace on them. So I guess give it to someone who has no guns that a brace would convert them to a SBR if you put it on them. Someone else may read it differently but I think just removing the brace isn't enough to satisfy them.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bad thing is it’s not just a brace they are saying makes it a SBR but the type of sights/ forward grips ect can rule it a SBR without a brace, from what I’ve read in all this f’ing mess

Latest posts

Top Bottom