Selling AR-15 pistols with a stabilizing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just stating a fact. Regardless of what SB Tactical knew when they designed them, they were originally designed to be used by disabled folks. It doesn’t matter what SB or any of the other manufacturers thought about how they would actually be used. But that doesn’t matter. What does is the fact our tyrannical government is yet again infringing on a supposed right they have no authority to mess with. But I guess that’s ok since these were made to “skirt the law”.

I remember a bunch of comments on here back when bumpstocks were illegally banned. It was the same crap. “These serve no purpose and are stupid. It’s just a way around the NFA”. Even though it wasn’t. Because a bumpstock doesn’t alter a semi auto into a machine gun. I guess a belt loop is a way around the NFA too according to that logic. It was never about the bumpstock themselves, rather, it was about how they were banned. I don’t have any pistols or braces anymore. As you said, they ain’t much fun shooting one handed and even with a stabilizer brace, they still weren’t that fun to shoot. Being shouldered or otherwise.

I am seeing a lot of the same comments regarding braces. Even though I don’t own any, this still affects me. It affects us all. Instead of us always bickering amongst ourselves, how about we actually come together to fight this? The division in this country sickens me.
Unfortunately most live their lives with the attitude of “as long as it does not negatively affect me personally, i will look the other way”. I have been guilty of that in the past. No more. We need to come together, specifically as a 2A community and fight for the rights of ALL. Not just the things that affect us directly. Freedom for ALL from a tyrannical government should be the reality we fight for and demand as a 2A community.
Just my early morning rambling thoughts.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately most live their lives with the attitude of “as long as it does not negatively affect me personally, i will look the other way”. I have been guilty of that in the past. No more. We need to come together, specifically as a 2A community and fight for the rights of ALL. Not just the things that affect us directly. Freedom for ALL from a tyrannical government should be the reality we fight for and demand as a 2A community.
Just my early morning rambling thoughts.
The vast majority of my working life I’ve dealt with chicken farmers, and over the years, they’ve had meetings and tried to organize a ”union”. The problem is that they can’t agree that the grass is green and the sky is blue, so there’s no possible way they will ever get together and agree on a better contract. The same applies to gun owners. We’re going fight amongst ourselves while the ATF makes us into criminals.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our rights are being infringed. This is the reason we why we can potentially loose this battle, we can't stand united against the government. If you comply, they will change rules sooner or later, this will not be the last time. You can never win against the government if you play by their rules.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ybdnIOVDbzqX.jpg

I guess this is going to be harder than I thought....:saywhat:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please note that this information is posted in order to shed some light on the recent ATF rule. If all you want to do is quibble, carp, *****, or bellyache about the insanity or absurdity or criminality of ATF rule 2021R-08F, please start your own thread and do it there. Thank you.
Quoted for those who may have missed it the first time. I started this thread to get some info out there that may prevent someone from unknowingly getting their ass in a sling. The chicken little/ sky-is-falling/ world-is-treating-me-so-badly stuff belongs in a thread of its own. So, start a thread, fill it with bellyaching, whining, moaning, and complaining, and have fun doing it.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a rule, not law.
Tim, with all due respect, sir, I'm afraid you're missing the point. ATF final rule 2021R-08F classifies AR-15 style pistols with braces as short-barreled rifles (SBRs). Short-barreled rifles (SBRs), short-barreled shotguns (SBSs), Any Other Weapon (AOW), and machine guns all fall under the purview of the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA for short). So, say a guy gets busted for trying to sell an unregistered SBR. He could be charged with violating NFA laws prohibiting the transfer of an unregistered NFA firearm. And I can assure you, NFA laws are very real.

Last edited:

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tim, with all due respect, sir, I'm afraid you're missing the point. ATF final rule 2021R-08F classifies AR-15 style pistols with braces as short-barreled rifles (SBRs). Short-barreled rifles (SBRs), short-barreled shotguns (SBSs), Any Other Weapon (AOW), and machine guns are all under the purview of the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA for short). So, say a guy gets busted for trying to sell an unregistered SBR. He could be charged with violating NFA laws prohibiting the transfer of an unregistered NFA firearm. And I can assure you, NFA laws are very real.
The “rule” redefines the definition of a SBR based on a accessory. The issue is that only Congress can redefine a firearm for any reason. The ATF does not have the power to do this, personally I’m betting it gets struck down in federal court before the 120 day mark. Also willing to bet that because owning a brace isn’t illegal, lots of people, the damn majority, will not comply by choice and just store the brace separately.

Luckily I now just have extra uppers for my registered SBR lower…. But it’s still a bunch of BS cause traveling with it can be a pain in the a$$!

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What he is saying is the rule that is turning AR pistols is their "new rule", it's not a law. Yet.
So lets just say that I might have an AR pistol with a brace & it has a 7 inch barrel. Obviously a pistol length barrel.
I also might have a Ruger SuperBlackhawk revolver with a longer barrel, a 7.5 inch barrel. Now what if I or someone carved out of piece of wood or bent a piece of metal that could be attached to the butt of the frame of the revolver. (I know this has been done before, I've seen pictures) Are THEY requiring that I register my Blackhawk revolver as a SBR. It has a longer barrel so it is closer to being a rifle, Right.
Even if I designed it to just slip over the hand grip & not physically or permanently be attached by any screws or anything, it is still just a pistol.

Their "rule" makes no sense & is totally unconstitutional for them to enforce it.

Total disregard & mass non-compliance is the way to fight.

Those of you that are going to use this as a way to get free Tax stamps so you can get an SBR are not contributing to the fight, you are helping the problem.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The “rule” redefines the definition of a SBR based on a accessory.
Not so. The short barrel of an AR style pistol, with the addition of a brace, is what makes it an SBR. You can substitute a 16 inch or longer barrel for a seven, nine, or 11.5 inch barrel and have a legal rifle, with the brace installed. The brace itself is not illegal, but the combination of it and a short barrel makes it an unregistered SBR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom