Selling AR-15 pistols with a stabilizing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
That being said...upstream it was stated that just removing the brace alone changed the SBR back to a pistol. Now it's being stated that the buffer tube needs to be the original short tubes with the rounded end to be okay.
I was describing a real pistol tube for everyone who has forgotten what they look like, not saying that's what they are saying in the rule.
I was answering your question regarding the pistol buffer tubes that in real life are rifle/carbine tubes that have adjustability, ie holes or something, that people are putting hard plastic or metal braces that are really stocks.

I guess the best way to understand it is to read it. You all are getting second-hand info from me and one other dude here that read it.

here y'all go 👇 👇 👇 👇
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-01-31/pdf/2023-01001.pdf

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen and understand all about those. It just sounded like something different was being described as an adjustable buffer tube

That being said...upstream it was stated that just removing the brace alone changed the SBR back to a pistol. Now it's being stated that the buffer tube needs to be the original short tubes with the rounded end to be okay.

Not ambiguous? Hmmm...

I really don't think most of this rule is crystal clear. Maybe I'm just dense.
If the pistol in question has a stabilizing brace, it would not have the type of buffer tube that is being prohibited. The ones that are prohibited are those that allow the pistol to be shouldered like it would be with a brace except there is no stabilizing brace present. These extended buffer tubes allow the pistol to be shouldered, as with a brace, but are sold as an alternative to stabilizing braces like those from SB and others.

So, if you have a pistol with a SB type stabilizing brace, removal of same, and permanent disposal of same, would return your SBR to pistol status. Again, buffer tubes are allowed because they are necessary to the function of the pistol, but if you can mount your buffer tube to your shoulder, you have the wrong one. And it is not necessary to change buffer tubes (as long as it isn't one of the extended types that you can mount to your shoulder) as long as you just permanently dispose of the stabilizing brace.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was describing a real pistol tube for everyone who has forgotten what they look like, not saying that's what they are saying in the rule.
I was answering your question regarding the pistol buffer tubes that in real life are rifle/carbine tubes that have adjustability, ie holes or something, that people are putting hard plastic or metal braces that are really stocks.

I guess the best way to understand it is to read it. You all are getting second-hand info from me and one other dude here that read it.

here y'all go 👇 👇 👇 👇
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-01-31/pdf/2023-01001.pdf
I happen to be reading it again now and even just a few pages in it seems to be contradicting itself. Clear as mud to me.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question because I have never owned one, when you have a short barrelled rifle and take it hunting/to the range... Do you have to carry paperwork in the event you are checked?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, a serious question for all the Doubting Thomases out there: If, while digging around in your dead Granddad's old cedar chest at the old home place, you find an unregistered machine gun, do you believe that you could advertise it on OSA and sell it in a face-to-face transaction?
Man if I was only so lucky! I wouldn’t tell nobody. But sadly, both my grandpas are dead and they didn’t have jack crap.

But if someone tried to sell it, they would get arrested faster than anyone could imagine. This same thing WILL happen to braced firearms. I understand what you were saying in your previous posts. Even though this rule is not a law; it will be treated and enforced as one.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have this question now.

What about these micro conversion kits that you can get for your glocks, m&p's, & others that you slide & lock your regular pistol into that basically temporarily converts your pistol into something like a carbine? They have an arm brace!

View attachment 345864
Are these going to be on the next list of things to be registered?
Is anyone who has one of these to play with going to be a felon?
If you have one of these, it turns what was a legal pistol into a braced pistol which they consider SBRs now.

There is no stopping them if you give an inch, even if you think you are getting the benefit of something for free, (free tax stamp for something) you are not helping the problem at stake, you are helping the problem.

Mass & total non-compliance is the was to fight this.
There is a reason why the feds keep on doing this stuff. It’s because we continue to allow them too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom