Selling at Wanenmacher?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking more and more like systems go. We reserved 2 tables today so we are getting pretty well locked in.
He's had a bit more luck looking up comparable stuff so figuring out values is getting a bit better (mind you- he's been out of the hobby for probably 20 years).

Two examples that are pretty close:

His is unfired, NIB
But this is the same gun otherwise
https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ewar-winchester-model-21-skeet-grade-20-gauge

His is "as new" without box
Same gun otherwise
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/3623/winchester-golden-quail

in 86 or 87 i had been doing some business with Champlin, got a call from them (this was during the oil bust) and they wanted to know if i had a buyer for a Model 21, 1946 gun as i recall, new in the box unfired 410. i knew a guy who collected Model 21's exclusively, Champlin sent me the gun and the fellow bought for 20 grand. again from memory Winchester only made a total of 36 410 Model 21's. 20 grand for the gun was 15 grand less than it had sold for at auction previous the oil bust. all together Champlin and I bought 3 shotguns for less than 20K. i always liked going up there and seeing all the guns laying on blankets on the floor. first gun i bought from them was a 20ga browning superposed Diana grade, drove up to look and dragged that beauty home with me.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not a member of the group (too light in the pockets) but Wanenmachers is as good as any show that I'm aware of if in the market to sell, buy, swap or just look at high-end guns. And maybe will be the only opportunity one ever gets at some of these guns. At the last Wanenmachers (Spring 2018), a fellow S&W aficionado from out of state, casually mentioned that he'd only spent $55K at this show. So the guns, money and folks that buy/sell are there. Already mentioned but the thieves are there also. IIRC, it was 3 or 4 shows back that a dealer in the lower level had a $38,000 Winchester rifle taken from his table. I think it's been since then but I spoke with an out of state dealer that had his trailer broken into at the motel and lost $40,000 worth of collector handguns but was thankful that they didn't get his high-dollar long guns.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with the idea to tie/secure your items.
I seem to remember a few years ago, the Tulsa newspaper or a TV station reported a story that security cameras overhead had caught somebody stealing off a table at Wanenmacher's....and damned if the suspect wasn't ANOTHER dealer (or at least another person who had paid for a table at the show).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with the idea to tie/secure your items.
I seem to remember a few years ago, the Tulsa newspaper or a TV station reported a story that security cameras overhead had caught somebody stealing off a table at Wanenmacher's....and damned if the suspect wasn't ANOTHER dealer (or at least another person who had paid for a table at the show).
I believe that is correct.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, if you have pricey guns to sell FTF, Wanenmacher is probably the best venue for that. Quite a few times I’ve posted a nice Garand or other firearm for sale on this forum, only to have the ad languish for weeks. Then I took the firearm to Wanenmacher, sometimes with a higher price tag, and had it sold PDQ. Twice while I was walking through the parking lot to the entrance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom