Selling reloaded ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hornady and Sierra bullets because accuracy is more important than cost to me, However I can just save these for myself and start using cheap lead or copper plated bullets, but the accuracy is lost then, I guess the members here don't care as long as they can get it cheap.

This is slightly amusing and will ask you to clarify. You mean to tell me I would have finished 1st instead of 3rd of 172 shooters this last weekend at the AR State IDPA Championship if I had shot jacketed bullets instead of the inaccurate lead bullets I used? I'm not sure how I won the stage that required 9 shots at 35 yards, 3 shots at 25 yards and 3 shots at 20 yards using the inaccurate lead bullets I used. Hmmm

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is slightly amusing and will ask you to clarify. You mean to tell me I would have finished 1st instead of 3rd of 172 shooters this last weekend at the AR State IDPA Championship if I had shot jacketed bullets instead of the inaccurate lead bullets I used? I'm not sure how I won the stage that required 9 shots at 35 yards, 3 shots at 25 yards and 3 shots at 20 yards using the inaccurate lead bullets I used. Hmmm

Having shot bullseye for decades with those "cheap, inaccurate cast bullets," I share your bemusement at the naive assertions.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say that lead was not accurate, that was only part of the package and I appologize for that, the real reason I don't use lead is that in the past I have found that my customers wouldn't buy it as fast as they do copper.

It is the whole package I was talking about that I expected accuracy and dependablilty with.

would you use the cheapest primers, reclaimed powder and uncleaned cases with your lead bullets and expect the same accuracy?

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You weren't talking about the whole package. You were specifically talking about bullets. "The real reason I don't use lead ..." Really? Why not just say that in your post instead of stating they are inaccurate?

We are talking about handgun ammunition here. Most people will never be as accurate as the ammunition they shoot. I know I'm not. Just for grins, maybe we should meet at the range with your "quality" ammo and me with my junky lead ammo. I'll even load in dirty cases if it makes you feel better. We can shoot each other's loads out of each other's guns and I suspect we will see the same accuracy from both shooters. The ammunition and the firearms won't matter. It's the Indian, Don, not the arrow.

As far as your above questions, I do, in fact, use the cheapest primers I can find. I've never used reclaimed powder, but know many that do with great success. Unclean cases don't affect accuracy as much as it is difficult to work with on the press and it's hard on the dies.

I'm afraid your statements, while attempting to justify your ammunition prices, are only showing your ignorance of the reloading process.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point exactly, all you want to do is argue with someone who asks questions because he only knows what he has been told and wants the truth.
Quess I will just ignore this thread and go back to selling ammo for what I want and everyone else can go stand in line at walmart at 7am so supply will stay low and I can get what I ask.
Have a good holiday everyone I am on my way to Kansas to decorate graves so will be out of touch for a few days

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say that lead was not accurate, that was only part of the package and I appologize for that, the real reason I don't use lead is that in the past I have found that my customers wouldn't buy it as fast as they do copper.

It is the whole package I was talking about that I expected accuracy and dependablilty with.

would you use the cheapest primers, reclaimed powder and uncleaned cases with your lead bullets and expect the same accuracy?

Um, I use the cheapest primers I can find, reclaimed powder is perfectly fine as long as the ammo was stored halfway properly, and dirty cases fed just as well from my guns as do the ones I started polishing later.

Lead bullets are as accurate as jacketed when used with the recommended powder loads for a cast bullet.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe there is also a federal excise tax, but I don't declare myself an expert.

When considering cost, don't forget to figure in his time, investment in loading equipment and insurance. there is also a lot of time spent in case prep, if you want it to look good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom