Selman Bats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did you get that invite and what did you do in there?
Just take a graduate level mammalogy class from OU.
Mostly just looked around inside the caves, get an idea of how much guano piles up over time
Ps a lot!
And then we set up some mist nets around some ancillary cave openings, caught some and then added to the Chiroptera collection at OU’s Sam Nobel museum of Natural History.
Got more than a few skeletons with my name on the tag over there, mostly rodents, but a bat or two I think.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just take a graduate level mammalogy class from OU.
Mostly just looked around inside the caves, get an idea of how much guano piles up over time
Ps a lot!
And then we set up some mist nets around some ancillary cave openings, caught some and then added to the Chiroptera collection at OU’s Sam Nobel museum of Natural History.
Got more than a few skeletons with my name on the tag over there, mostly rodents, but a bat or two I think.

I see, those don't sound like Mexican free tail caves.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This little creature has been hanging around at work for a few days

681EEED3-791C-41EF-BC80-E81A5CB4AEB8.jpeg
C402EBDC-E8E1-40CD-A5E7-BE1E434C2678.jpeg
CED69995-62BE-4364-BC8C-6F1DE0E439D6.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m nearly 13 yrs out of that career, but I’m pretty sure 95% of the bats around ok are freetails

Probably so, I'm thinking of the maternity caves, they're unique in that they're warn air caves which promotes microsoil fungus growth in the guano, which causes histoplasmosis. Respirators and Tyvek suits are required to venture in and wallow across 3'-4' deep guano. IIRC there's only four in the state, all in western OK.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably so, I'm thinking of the maternity caves, they're unique in that they're warn air caves which promotes microsoil fungus growth in the guano, which causes histoplasmosis. Respirators and Tyvek suits are required to venture in and wallow across 3'-4' deep guano. IIRC there's only four in the state, all in western OK.
We did no wading, lol we didn’t go in very far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom