Sen. Cornyn, With NRA Blessing, Proposes Gun Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/665507

Backed by the National Rifle Association, the Senate's No. 2 Republican leader is introducing legislation that would reward states for sending more information about residents with serious mental problems to the federal background check system for firearms purchasers.

The bill promoted Wednesday by Sen. John Cornyn, who has an A-plus rating from the NRA for his gun rights record, is far more modest than a Senate measure expanding background check requirements that the organization and Republicans helped defeat two years ago. Cornyn's proposal also is narrower than a measure a top Senate Democrat announced this week.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ye Old'e, foot in the door.

I disagree. It is already a violation to not disclose an involuntary commitment (not observation period), or adjudication of mental incompetence on the 4473. It's already expected that states will provide those records to the FBI for the NICS system, it's just not funded or mandated (10th Amendment issue).

I want those records transmitted to NICS. They may help keep mentally incompetent persons from purchasing a firearm from an FFL licensee. Adding an incentive for states to voluntarily report this information is literally giving up nothing. It's already illegal for those persons to possess a firearm.

I just don't want Administrative Law Judges for federal agencies (SSA, VA, etc.) and doctor's having any ability to access NICS for reporting persons as prohibited. That's not within the scope of their mission or authority IMO.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thought. How many times have government records been found to be wrong because of data entry mistakes - people have been reported dead that are still alive. Dead people still receiving SS checks, mysteriously listed on a no-fly list, just to name a few. It takes them years to get the records repaired. What happens when the average gun enthusiast is mistakenly put in this record? I'll answer - he looses his guns and it will take years to cleanup the mess before he can buy another gun. The only way for this to work is for the individual to have an opportunity to review the information and correct it, when necessary, before sending to NICS.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. It is already a violation to not disclose an involuntary commitment (not observation period), or adjudication of mental incompetence on the 4473. It's already expected that states will provide those records to the FBI for the NICS system, it's just not funded or mandated (10th Amendment issue).

I want those records transmitted to NICS. They may help keep mentally incompetent persons from purchasing a firearm from an FFL licensee. Adding an incentive for states to voluntarily report this information is literally giving up nothing. It's already illegal for those persons to possess a firearm.

I just don't want Administrative Law Judges for federal agencies (SSA, VA, etc.) and doctor's having any ability to access NICS for reporting persons as prohibited. That's not within the scope of their mission or authority IMO.

Agreed. We keep screaming because the loony lefties and their media lap dogs attack gun owners everytime a crazy goes off the deep end and on a killing spree, yet some of us do not want to do anything but whine. Face it folks, either we fix the problem using common sense or the liberals will fix it by outlawing all firearms.

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSA should shut down online gun sales and make all purchases go through dealers just to be sure no crazies are allowed to buy guns. Or just ban everyone from buying them.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's just going to be fascinating to discover how 'mental problems' will be defined. Soon, we'll find out that all firearm owners have mental problems. That's how this works, kiddos.
Yes, this is a serious issue. Being a psychologist, I can vouch for the fact that even *within* psychology there's significant debate/conflict/disagreement about this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom