Senate Bill 566 allowing outfitters access to public land hunting areas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can’t say that I’m surprised that a high ranking government official is trying to get bills passed that benefit him. As a public land hunter I’m very frustrated by this bill. The public lands are already overcrowded. Now this will make things so much worse. The waterfowl hunters are really gonna hate this because the “good spots” we will call them so we don’t name any will be overrun by outfitters. I can’t express my frustration enough.
Please comment your opinion on the link in the first post.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap. What were they thinking?! The public parcels in Oklahoma are much too small to support outfitted hunting. We aren't talking millions of acres of forest with wilderness areas like the Rockies that often require local paid help to even access parts of public land!

Honestly I see it being more of an issue with bird hunters than big game. Think of all the people that will take money to take someone to your favorite duck or quail spot. You don't have to be licensed to guide in Oklahoma, as far as I know, post on craigslist get paid a few extra bucks to take someone out bird hunting for the morning! What a disaster.

Furthermore does this include the new private lands leased for public hunting???? If so that will completely kill that program. No landowner will lease his ground for public access to watch others make money off of it!

If the governor doesn't veto this the only response the ODWC could have is literally make all public grounds limited access (controlled hunt) during all big game seasons and maybe even some waterfowl/upland seasons.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's stay on top of this, folks. I sent my opinion to the Governor, and I ask each of you to please do the same. It looks like it has been sent back to the Senate, but let's be sure the Governor never lets it become law!

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB566&Tab=0

And, thank you, Dennis, for bringing this up!

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree this is FUBAR and needs to not be allowed. But I cant imagine an outfitter wanting to use public land because of the already high numbers of other hunter present at any given time?
Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the public lands may become posted if leased by the outfitter? Seems like that would be a great way to screw the general public, so that would be my guess. But like I said, I haven't read it yet.

Edit:

Well that was short and lacking. Can see this being a big CF.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree this is FUBAR and needs to not be allowed. But I cant imagine an outfitter wanting to use public land because of the already high numbers of other hunter present at any given time?

Plain and simple ... MONEY! If an out of state hunter knows nothing of what's available in Oklahoma, but wants the chance to hunt some new ground, hook up with an outfitter and off you go! He has no idea what he's walking into, but some people would be more than happy to take the money and dump you on the ground!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t see the state actually leasing out public lands, but what I do see happening is the outfitters going around the state to the land owners in OLAP and leasing the land out from under the state. That seems like the most logical to me.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom