Senate Bill 910, Velvet Antler Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yes it does. Check out the language in the bill, NO EXEMPTIONS. Lifetime holders will have to buy a tag, which is a lottery type tag. Not one for everyone.

Edit: Page 3, lines 18-19.
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2023-24 ENGR/SB/SB910 ENGR.PDF
A lot of you may not be old enough to remember that back in the day the Ok legislature actually did have a say in hunting and fishing seasons.
The squirrel and quail seasons were designated to be open when the legislature was not in session.
Which is why the days the state congress was not in session; the hunting days were open.
I've never done the research to find out when the hunting seasons were taken away from the legislature, but there has to be some defining moment when it was thought this was not a good idea and the decision making was delegated to the Wildlife Department.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of you may not be old enough to remember that back in the day the Ok legislature actually did have a say in hunting and fishing seasons.
The squirrel and quail seasons were designated to be open when the legislature was not in session.
Which is why the days the state congress was not in session; the hunting days were open.
I've never done the research to find out when the hunting seasons were taken away from the legislature, but there has to be some defining moment when it was thought this was not a good idea and the decision making was delegated to the Wildlife Department.
It’s a proven fact that politicians make bad decisions on stuff they do or at least are supposed to know about, so I dang sure don’t want them making decisions on stuff they don’t have a clue about. :rolleyes2

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If one is a lifetime license holder, it doesn't matter how many seasons or tags there are.
I do agree and I am. But I know many that are not. So either way, are they not exploiting the animal for profit when there is already 3 seasons to take a buck. Hence the ethics comment. You'll either be tempted to buy an additional tag or the lifetime license due to the overall increased cost of yearly license, and tag fee options. And is that not counter intuitive to already limiting the buck kill to 2 total instead of one for each already existing seasons as it used to be. Or are they still limiting to 2 bucks while diluting the sportsmans dollar. Boone and Crocket does not count/allow admission of velvet racks but it appears Safari Club International does. Pope and Young have a seperate category. (Hence the asterisk comment for Okie Cy Curtis). But I believe the allowance and admission of velvet racks was for the states that have early seasons due to weather constraints. Not for those that don't or for the purpose of creating a new category for the same animal that just hasn't made it to the seasonal fruition it's natural breeding requirements. They don't compete for does with soft horns just as a man can't legitimatly compete for woman with soft XXXXX. There is also the added burden on the game rangers, of which I think most will tell you they are already challenged by chasing poachers. So why not complicate it by extending the time available to the criminal so it makes it easier to conceal the violation. The overall deer season is already 3.5 months long. And if they do pass this fuzzy bill, will it give more headway again to the deer hunter and adversly affect the predator hunters time afieild on public land as it already has? This also takes the mindset away from increased doe harvest. Should I indeed bow (or bow-pun intended) to thee in search of the trophy asterisk?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You all may remember but there was a bill last year for the same thing, except muzzleloader instead of archery. That one died in the second chamber. This one does appear to have more momentum.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If they did that nowadays...the way politicians are hooked on suckling at the lobbyists' teats and drinking the lobbyists' booze, etc...squirrel and quail seasons would be mighty short indeed.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To all those who say it's a waste of meat because it'll spoil, what is your quantitative process? A deer is 102 degrees alive. What makes you think itll spoil going into a cooler on an 80 or 90 degree day? Several states allow deer hunting from August to September start dates. Please, inform me why it's such a bad thing. or are you just against other people having their try at the states deer?
Maybe I’m thinking of how many late evening bucks get stuck but not retrieved until morning?

I’m not against folks having their shot at all, in fact I’m seeking an exemption from state ban on killing white/piebald deer. As a Native American I have a special tie to the sacred White deer. Colonizers shouldn’t dictate what we can do on our own land.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I’m thinking of how many late evening bucks get stuck but not retrieved until morning?

I’m not against folks having their shot at all, in fact I’m seeking an exemption from state ban on killing white/piebald deer. As a Native American I have a special tie to the sacred White deer. Colonizers shouldn’t dictate what we can do on our own land.
Pretty sure that ban was lifted about 10y ago?

Latest posts

Top Bottom