Senate vote on Chipman put off until June 24, 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or they're putting it off hoping Americans will forget about it... or get tired of fighting it, as they so often do when there are hot dogs to cook and Kardashians to follow.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Thank you for contacting me about President Biden's nomination of David Chipman to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

I have heard from Oklahomans who are concerned that Chipman will take action to infringe on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I share these concerns. Although Chipman spent 25 years at ATF, he currently serves as Senior Policy Advisor at Giffords. Giffords is an organization that advocates for strict gun control measures. This is concerning because ATF is responsible for regulating the sale, possession, and transfer of firearms. It is imperative that the Director of ATF understand and defend our constitutional Second Amendment rights.

While at Giffords, Chipman authored a document titled “Legal and Lethal: 9 Products that could be the Next Bump Stock." In the document, he advocates for a list of firearms and devices to be regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA). I am concerned that this is a blueprint of the actions Chipman will take as the Director of ATF. I strongly oppose arbitrary and burdensome regulation by ATF.

In the past, Chipman has been supportive of legislation that would ban all “ghost guns.” These are typically firearms that are assembled by the owner and therefore do not have a serial number. I do not believe that prohibiting specific types of guns is helpful in preventing violence.

He also supports “red flag” laws which would allow courts to temporarily remove an individual’s right to a firearm in cases of self-harm or danger to others. I am concerned that red flag laws withdraw a Constitutional right first, then force individuals to go to court to get their rights back. Decades ago, federal law was changed to not allow a person who had been treated in-patient for mental illness or adjudicated by a court as “mentally deficient” to own, possess or purchase a firearm of any type. But, this must be done in a court, not based on the accusation of someone who may or may not have any evidence. A constitutional right cannot be infringed because of someone's preference.

Chipman is also supportive of universal background checks for all firearm transfers. I am opposed to these efforts. While I support consistently updating and improving the National Instant Background Check System (NICS), I do not believe that private transfers between neighbors or friends need to be monitored.

Last year, Chipman mocked law-abiding gun owners during an interview because of the recent increase in gun purchases during the pandemic. When asked about these comments during the Senate Judiciary hearingon May 26, he stated these comments were taken out of context. I am also concerned with Chipman’s answer regarding AR-15s. Chipman stated that he prefers a system where the AR-15 and other assault weapons are regulated by ATF or there is an outright ban on AR-15s.

Chipman's nomination awaits further action in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I do not serve on that Committee, but I will vote against Chipman if his nomination comes to the Senate floor for a vote.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me again via email at www.lankford.senate.gov for more information about my work in the United States Senate for all of us.”

In God We Trust,
SenatorSignature48.jpg

James Lankford
United States Senator

Latest posts

Top Bottom