Serious matter in my life right now, i need some car restoration help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
please answer honest and sincere. i know the internet is not the place to pour your heart and feelings as it often is simply a place to go flame and troll, but this is a serious part of my life. if you think its silly and stupid to put so much emotion in a car (heirloom) then i ask you to please hold your tongue and simply exit this thread as i will not appreciate a negative reply that is not honestly trying to help my situation. thank you.

i am not sure where to start, but i guess i will start with the car... its a 1969 fastback mustang, the numbers on the car say it rolled off the line on my mothers 10th birthday, just an interesting fact we learned. my grandfather bought it when it was like 7-8 years old; from some failing college student who had other debts to deal with.... my grandpa drove it for a while, then my dads cougar was having issues so while they were rebuilding its engine in the garage, my grandpa had my father use the mustang. and as time went on and the cougar kept breaking down and being repaired, my dad ended up driving the mustang more than my grandpa did, and when my dad had finally put more money into maintenance and running the mustang than my grandpa had paid for the mustang, he simply gave it to my dad. this is the car my parents dated in some, the car they drove to sonic for dinner the night they were married, this is the car my folks took my sister and me to fly kites and drive around town on sundays in. its survived two bankruptcies. was stored in my grandpas barn for some time, and over the last 13 years has basically sat and deteriorated. but we had always talked about "one day, she will be beautiful again, and one day it will be mine.

well, over the last few years we have been doing work on it. and the fact is, while it had issues, it was never in horrible shape. the thing cranked and ran from the moment we started to think about trying to do something with it. all we had to do was clean the carburetor. shes really a champ, and has held up well to what we did to her, which basically amounted to neglect..

so when we started fixing her up we hit the high points our selves, had the engine rebuilt, the tranny, the whole fuel system from the gas cap to the carb, new front suspension, shocks, you name it we touched it. and finally we got to the things we could not do our selves. we decided to buy a new distributor an electronic msds one, and a 4 barrel intake manifold to match the new carb. so we hired this guy who just recently bought the restoration shop from some other guy here in broken arrow. hes off of elm, and i wont name the name, but he came out to see the car before we started and we told him what we wanted.
of course no one (at least that we could find) gives an honest bid, and i suppose with work such as this, there is no telling what you are going to find till you start taking it apart, so it cant be a bid job. well, at 50 bucks an hour he estimated he could have it done by thanksgiving (my dads birthday) for a little under $20k. so, in she went. we were pleased with the work they did making the engine gorgeous, and cleaning up the engine bay. these guys do great work, no questions there. and they even started off fast and the bills were reasonable. but then they started the body work, and they slowed down, i guess they only have one real body work guy, so we spent over a month looking and seeing no real change to the car, but the bills were small, a few hundred a week, no more than a thousand or not very often that. then suddenly we bitched and they go to our car, and as of this moment the body work is completed, done, and i can say, she looks flawless, all they are waiting for is a new front light shroude and i think they may still be waiting on the drivers side door hinges to come in, but they say the body is done. and i guess they primer coated it yesterday. problem is, we are officially at $21,000 invested in what they have done so far, and the hood scope is off of it, various shrouds and body parts are off of it, the locks and door panels and all are off the car, the engine is not hooked back up as far as the lines, and belts, and the a/c unit is not installed, the in dash vent for the a/c is not in either, the interior is not installed at all, and the entire inside is coated in the nasty filth and dust from working on the car and other cars next to it. must be hundreds of pieces and parts strewn about waiting to be placed back on the car.

when they started this project, they had a budget in mind, and over the last two weeks they have charged them over 7k and it was minor finishing work on the body, i guess you could call it perfection, but the fact is its not done. and its past the date we wanted it and over budget. and they still cant tell us when or how much more its going to take to finish it.. and if they do, how can we know they wont be over budget for that.

fact is the money they had saved up to use for this is gone, already spent on the car. so if we do any more work to it, hes going to have to try and get a loan for it... money they were going to build a shop with, to keep her safe in...

my dads depressed, my mom is too, and also, and everyone is frustrated. we had hoped to be done and have the finished car to take up to see my grandparents this thanksgiving. because grandpas health is declining faster and faster each year now, and we are scared of when we will lose him, and we want him to see and ride in the car, the heirloom he started for our family.

we also wanted to hit the parades for this christmas season, but its obvious neither is going to happen this year.

i know they deviated from the plan some, when we started it was my impression they were just focusing on getting her running reliably, get the a/c working, repair the body, paint her, and replace the interior. i mean we had at least 88% of the parts already. we had the manifold, the plenum, the distributor, the carb, all of the interior we provided already had it new in box. but when they got started he opted to spent a few thousand more on some chrome motor parts and headers, but even with that in consideration we think they have missed the predicted budget by a long long ways. 8-10k easy. and we still have no idea what its going to take to finish her.....

so as it sets, it sounds like we are bringing her home, unpainted, in pieces, monday... we cant afford to drop another 15k in her. .. . and who knows when we will have the funds, and the time will be right, and we will find someone we feel we can trust to work on her more. we all fear whats going to happen letting her set again. i hate to see my dad depressed, but im hardly in a situation to pay any towards it..

fact is, we feel hurt and lied to. they spent way more time than was spoken, went well over a month that they hardly touched the car. and every time we went down there to see them, they workers appear to spend more time standing around shooting the **** and smokeing than actully putting hands on the cars..... so how do we know how many hours we paid for them to "work on our car" and they were actually... to put it blatantly, ****ing off on the clock?

dont get me wrong, aside from the nasty beard and the gaged out ears on the owner, they seem profesional, the we are impressed with the work, just not how long it took, the gaps in time when they did nothing, and the sudden ramp of price that we cant see that time on the cars progess. i mean billed the last week over 60 hours, to finish some bondo work on the hood and wheel well? because that is literally all we could tell was different form the previous week when we paid another 50 some hours for more work we couldent see that much progress on...

i do not really know what i am expecting to hear back from you all. i mean.... it is what it is. if they cant give us a turn key price to get her able to drive out of there done on her own.... we cant justify getting a loan to simply "keep working on it" with no end in sight..

i have my questions as to how legit they are with their hours, but my father and mother have lost near all faith in the place.

like i said... body works done, it sounds like the front seats are done... we just need the minor engine parts put back on and tuned, along with the a/c system reinstaled and brought up to the new gas, and the headliner, carpet, and door panels put back to gether and the various little body chrome and pieces... does anyone know a honest legit body shop, and mechanic that would give us an honest bid to finish this nightmarish of an experience for us. and give us something to show for the money we have invested? because without a number..... she gets put in the shed and forgotten. i seriously doubt she will have the tarp pulled off her till i graduate med school and dad decides if i can pay to finish her, shes mine.... and i hate that thought. i want the car, but i want him to have his moment of glory again, i want him to have his toy for a little while and to enjoy her some more while he can. the man deserves his car.

and i do not know what to do...

the damnedist part is i had finally decided what to do for his birthday/x-mas gift.... but now a custom keychain and the speakers for the hidden updated radio system sounds more like a insult to injury to buy them for his gift now....

thanks for reading. i know its a terribly long post, and my grammar and spelling is horrible. but i do not post often now, and this is sadly the biggest thing in my life right now. and honestly is a highlight of my life.

i love this car... because i love my father.

BoostedBerlina

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this sucks a lot...

Maybe what you guys should have done is started this as a father - son project and done it yourself. You would have saved A LOT. And why did you let the guy choose what goes on your car? You basically let this guy take advantage of you doing so.

I started learning to do anything and everything to cars when I was about 7. Now the only thing I take my cars anywhere for is to get tires put on and get an alignment. Right now one of my race cars is all taken apart in my garage and I have a lot of work ahead of me, let alone all the work I do for my buddies around here for free... I'd help if I could. If you have questions about the car, let me know, I can more than likely help.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you wanting barrett Jackson quality restore? With that kind of money spent please tell the name of the shop? I know a guy who does cars who uses a stop watch while working on the cars, he starts and stops the time for phone calls and etc.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
we did do it as a father son thing at the start, like i said the whole front suspension, springs, the fuel system, coils, plugs, carb, some electronics, i mean, i feel like we did a lot of work on this car before breaking down and deciding the better option was to have a professional finish the tough stuff, and the body.. neither of is is a mechanic and we lack alot of the tools to tune and my dad was scared to mess with installing the electronic distributor on it himself.

the thing is like i said, we were not looking for barret jackson. and we were not even trying to keep her 100% origional, just close enough you know? i mean we had our boundaries, and the guy didnt decide anything for us, just when he started on the engine he suggested some pieces to make the engine look beautiful, and my dad took him up on it knowing it was a few grand extra. and thats not the problem, its the sudden ten grand of body work that we cant justify or see any real progess, and we figure the paintjobs going to run another few grand at least, and then if we had to guess, what another 10-20 grand to have everything completed?

i mean, what do you think? 4 grand this last week and the only difference is the guy finished the hood and cleaning up some holes where the wires for the turn indicators on the back of the scoop run. i mean, i know i am speaking out of place, i am certainly not a person that knows enough about body work, but i cant see the hours we are being charged for that. i should have been taking photos as we went, but i think i have the photos i took right before we gave it to him, i will work on getting those up, so you can see, it really was not in that bad of shape... at least i do not think it was.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one thing you need to remember is the more a car set's and rust's the harder it is to repair. and a 69 mustang is had to get good parts for. most people don't want Chinese replacement parts.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 69 nova , installed all new quarters,door skins, trim,emblems etc. Painted by doughboy for 8500 bucks and 6 months. And I would put the paint up against anything here in town. Sound like your getting took.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one thing you need to remember is the more a car set's and rust's the harder it is to repair. and a 69 mustang is had to get good parts for. most people don't want Chinese replacement parts.

You can buy the entire body brand new for half of what they have spent. Mustang parts are a dime a dozen. I have not seen the car, but it sounds like they are a little exhorbitant on their prices.

I can help, sent a PM.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't help, hopefully 71buick has some helpful answers for you, but I can definitely understand the sentimental value of vehicles and the like.

After reading the first paragraph, I was immediately reminded of:

And the new Chevy commercial:

I wish you, your dad, and your family the best of luck in getting the results you want within reasonable time and finance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, my heart goes out to you. From the description of the work done already it sounds like you could easily get a reputable shop to give you a hard number on finishing it, and from the sound of it, it shouldn't be near another 10 or 20 grand! If it were me I would go load it and everything you've paid for up and take it home. I damn sure wouldn't pay those guys another dime. PM Chis Anderson, he can give you a contact on a good reputable shop in Norman that won't take you to the cleaners like this other outfit has. A '69 FB Stang would be well worth hauling it down there. Good luck and post pics when it's fully restored. Pleeeease!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom