Serious matter in my life right now, i need some car restoration help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i got there late today, but i managed to get some photos of the car, from the sounds of it, its been drying for a few hours or so prior to me arriving, when i got there it was shut in the booth with the fans on. this is how she sets right now, the fresh second coat of primer, from my understanding this has to be sanded down, then the first coat of our base red paint sprayed, then sanded and a second coat applied, and re-sanded i guess? and then our c strip and hood in black two coats, then 2 coats of clear coat over all.

here is the photos. http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h428/okwrk871/Primer 112311/

i wish i had photos of the engine, as it looks outstanding, but like i said, its still lacking putting the radiator, electric fan, plumbing the cooling system, the a/c comp, and tuning the engine. i did not want to touch the hood to try and get a pic of the engine, i think it was taped anyways. but this is how far our budget has got us. my father assumes just to finish the paint will be a solid 2 weeks. i do not care to try to speculate on how much time we have in the paint. the money they had saved for this is gone, so like i said, if its to go any further its on a loan, and my father wont take a loan to finish it unless its a guaranteed flat bid with a date to be completed, and the bid is a price he can stomach for the car to be done, turn key and drive off, completed. the guy has been told this, so i guess he is working up a price.

my biggest concern is the question of how many hours are legit on the last two weeks. all the work put into the last two weeks was 140 hours, an it was focus on the hood, and the drivers side rear wheel well. in the original photos you can see the said wheel well and the main dent in it, then you can see the hood on another, and i made sure to get photos of the final results of those two. i know the original was not stripped so its probably impossible to tell, but no one said it was bad, but suddenly they got hit with 140 hours to bondo the hood and repair that wheel well dent?

we kind of figured it was going to run high, twice as much though was and is unimaginable for us. but the issue is that here we are, just now a sanding away from the first coat of red paint, and the predicted price is gone. and my father assumes its only half way. i like to think its got maybe 1/4 of what has been done left to do, since the body should have been the hardest part. but they still have to put body parts on, the minor engine parts back on, tune it, and the interior, and of course the paint. so i see the concern. but i am still hopeful that the words the guy said are true "its almost done" so hopefully he will give us an honest price and write up a legal note of work to be completed for that price and end this.

fact is, as far as this adventure has gone, what would have really helped was to be updated, i mean we came to see the car each week and pay the bill, but a notice would have been nice. "hey, here we are 2 weeks from thanksgiving, and we are not as far along on the body as we had thought we would be." and " he we are not done with the body, but we are running a bit higher than we predicted on price, there were these trouble spots and we got hung up on this." but they cant say anything, it just is what it is. and how can we object, or bring to light our being suspicious of wasted time, when our beloved car is strewn about their shop, we certainly do not want to piss them off.

do not be mistaken, this was not a project for fun, this is not something we looked forward to having to do, it was a means to an end, after 3 years of tinkering together, we got to the stuff we could not do ourselves. we are not doing this to have something to sell, we are doing this to bring back to life, an object we all enjoy in our family. this kind of work is a once in a life time thing my father will never have to restore anything on this car again, and i will simply end up putting the stock pieces i wanted back on the car in 10-15 years when its mine. so this did turn out to be a larger deal then we had started out to do. i guess at some point we were supposed to realize they were envisioning a much higher state of perfection for the body work than we were, but how were we to know. i mean we set a budget, get it done, but stick close to budget. true, telling him our figures may have been a mistake i was worried about that, but how else do you hire someone to do something that you have to hire to do it because you are not setup and knowledgeable about the subject to do so for your self, and get the point across of exactly how much work is to be done, without detailing a figure to act as a guideline?

i appreciate the kind words and the recommendations i got in pm. we are going to wait out and hear what this guy comes back with, and depending on what happens i will be looking to respond to them at that time.

in the mean time, how do you feel about the hood and drivers side wheel well. am i crazy? or is 140 hours to do that, seem questionable? now that i have posted photos of those.

Last edited:

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as spraying the paint, it should be done in one day. You spray 2-3 medium coats, letting each flash off for 15-30 minutes, depending on the paint system and then spray the clear. There is no real reason to sand the car between coats, that will actually create a lot more work for the painter, put lines in the paint, not to mention the potential for really screwing it up. If the color is left longer than about an hour, it needs to sit for 24 hours and then it must sanded, but ALL 2K (that base/clear type)automotive paints are designed to be sprayed, flashed and then cleared. What if they are using a baking booth you ask? No, the color should not be baked until the clear is put on. Once the clear goes one, it will need to be color sanded (that is high-grit wet sanding) then buffed. If it takes them 2 weeks to get the color on, they are messing with you. You didn't ask for 20k paint job, 20k was supposed to be paint, body, full assembly, etc.

The first coat of primer is usually primer/surfacer, which is a sanding primer, it is thicker than a sealer. Most cars get one round of primer/surfacer, block sanded, then hit with a round of sealer. This is not sanded. In fact, you can go from surfacer straight to paint within 30 minutes. You wipe it tack rag to clear it of any trash, dust, etc.

Please give me a call, I can help you through this. There is no way they spent 140 hours on a hood and wheel well. I do this stuff every day, they are messing with you.

Some people are saying that you don't know the car look like till you get it stripped, which is true, I blast car for restoration shops all the time. The problem is that it just doesn't take that long to fix. Most quality body shops can cut out and weld in a quarter skin in a day. Then you have another doing the fill work and blocking. 2 days to replace an entire quarter skin. I just did it on the '65 Mustang I am restoring for my wife. It actually takes longer to do it the wrong way.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What he said! ^^^

No way they can justify 140 freaking hours on those two repairs! If the hood was jacked up that bad why not just replace it with an aftermarket? Easier for them, cheaper for you. And I've replaced a quarter or three and it just ain't that hard! They billed you almost 4 weeks! 40 hour weeks? I guess they are using the new math, and if they had more than one guy working it, the raping is just that much more flagrant. They are taking advantage of you in a large monetary way.

As far as the paint 71buickfreak is right on. I have used 2K systems that said you could go as long as 24 hours before clear coating, but it wasn't recommended. The way it's supposed to be done is exactly like he said for most basecoat/clearcoat systems. The basecoat will dry by itself, but to fully cure it needs the clearcoat. A chemical reaction happens and the clear is the key. It has to be done in a set time frame. Also the clear doesn't have to be sanded and rubbed out. The factories sure don't do it, the paint system isn't really "designed" for it to be done. But it sure makes it look glass smooth and usually is done on custom work. Here's the last project I did, it was bought off fleabay and wasn't looking near as good as it should. Total strip and repaint. It was sanded and rubbed out but you can't tell it from this scanned 35mm photo, but it's gorgeous in person. I didn't have a digital camera at the time. It's the closest one.

[Broken External Image]

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped reading towards the end of the thread. And take into consideration that I am a little buzzed up posting this but being this over budget seems excessive to me. I understand unforseen circumstances can factor in and a lot of bodyshops won't even touch restoration work and would much rather do insurance jobs. Whether this shop is trying to take you to the cleaners is subjective and I think their values may be excessive, one factor that should be taken into consideration is that a lot of shops will not warranty another shops work. IE taking a car with all bodywork done to another shop could result in the new shop being unwilling to warrant the work because it was not done there. Just something to consider. Don't mean to be a bearer of bad news.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Robert, sorry to hear. I'm into old cars myself. I've been restoring an old GTO for the last year. I doubt I had 140 hours total in bodywork on my car. That included cutting out rust and welding in new patches on both quarters, both fenders and one door. One fender needed considerable amount of dolly work also. I could have put a reproduction fender on but it was gonna need about 4 hours of work to get the Chinese junk to fit right.

As buickfreak pointed out, if quarters were needed they don't take long to do if someone knows what they are doing.I have a friend that can cut off and weld on a new quarter and finish it in a day. I've seen him do it.

I'm not saying those guys are unscrupulous. They might not be very talented at what they do. A decent body man makes that stuff look easy. 140 hours on those to repairs just seems over the top.

I never like to pay for hourly work. It's much better to pay them to strip car so they can see the cars faults. Usually they can then tell you what it will take to do body and paint upfront. Even then I've heard horror stories ofguys having peoples cars for months, shoddy work, and parts missing in the process of it being pulled apart for months.

Hopefully everything works out for you. PM me if ya need anything. I know a couple people in the OKC that do this type of stuff.

Btw, 69 fastbacks are a great looking car and worth putting money into. Hopefully you won't have tons more money in it than it is worth although this happens some. Good luck!

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
got a call from the owner of the shop today, he added up the work he has left to do to finish the car, and he said he can do it for some specific dollar amount just over $7440. apparently that will finish the paint, interior, and tuning the engine and everything properly hooked up as we had previously been working towards. a turn key final price as it were. since the thing is setting in pieces in his shop, my dads going to let him finish it on taking a loan on his truck. but there will be documentation of this, and he will not be getting paid no more than half that price up front, with the rest due when we can drive the car off his property under its own power.

i thank you all for the information and wishes, we still think he was cooking the hours, but since it cant be proven, and my dad likes the price if it actually works out to be finished for that; i guess shes going to be finished by this guy. i will release the places name along with photos once the car is completed.

an interesting side note, my mom doped by the shop today and its locked up, no ones working today. it appears that they finally finished all the other cars, and ours is the last one left they have, they have several vehicles in there storing them and a couple of their "buddies cars" they are tinkering with. but it seems we are the only paying customer left they have... so since we told them to stop work until we got a number, they are shut down.. i find that interesting, and hopefully it will result in the car being done in the next 2-3 weeks. wishful thinking perhaps... but we will see.

thanks again guys. i will keep you up on this with photos. (i also still owe some photos of the loki m4 build i got shootsumms help with on the forearm... i will have to do that in the next couple days too.)

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just thought I would update you all, since I have not since just after thanks giving.

So, they said it would be done well before the 1st of the year, this being the second deadline since it's initial before thanks giving so we could parade deadline; and guess what, second of the year, and the lettering on the c stripe, still not done, the dozens of various exterior parts. Still not on the car. And the interior, a/c, and engine plumbing are still untouched aside from them pulling the carpet from the car last week.... Hopefully I will have completes photos or at least once these bozos are done screwing around with whatever turns out photos; by the end of feburary is my bet. They keep claiming next week, next week, but I grew tired of those words months ago....

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope they get it finished soon without any problems Robert. This has to be very frustrating.

I also hope that you'll let us know the name of the shop once it's all done so that we can use your experience and avoid similar troubles (by avoiding the shop).

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at this time if it were me I would have already looked at my options and potentially tried to recoup money back out of them. There is no way they legitimately went that far over budget and have done what they said. They better have something documented or proving these hours. Was the business name posted for others to be warned of? I hope you have something in writing but I would have already insisted in them justifying and proving these hours and the work they have claimed.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
at this time if it were me I would have already looked at my options and potentially tried to recoup money back out of them. There is no way they legitimately went that far over budget and have done what they said. They better have something documented or proving these hours. Was the business name posted for others to be warned of? I hope you have something in writing but I would have already insisted in them justifying and proving these hours and the work they have claimed.

He uses "time cards" for adding up the bill. But from the looks of it. You can be "clocked in" on our car, and be our smoking, eating, advising work on another car. There is no proof they actually were physically putting hands on our car the whole time. And we feel like there was alot of abuse. At this point the cost is not the biggest factor. It's the frustration with their progress. Each week we see less and less work. They have our car in pieces. And it feels like they are using that as their main weapon to assure they have work for income later, so they push it aside and work all the small jobs that come in before touching ours.

I will not personally say their name until our car is back home. And I will make a formal post summarizing the facts about our experience with this "business".

There's no point going after them with a lawyer. Lookin at them and reading into the little things you hear and see; they are a bunch of loosera. Even if we won in court, you can shake money from a place it does not exist. All the nice things in the building that we initially thought made it look like a reputable business Are other businesses owned separately Renting space. All we want is our car back in one finished piece, and to warn everyone else about how much of a horrible experience it was with these people.

We picked them because news 6 did a story on them, and the owner rushed out to give us an estate, and assured us that it would be done by thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom