Service call fees are crazy rant!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nobody in there right mind would pay you that and you should be ashamed of taking people for a ride!!! been in the business a long time that aint right.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The $1,200 minimum isn't even high in my line of work. In fact most love to pay it, that meaning they got out cheap on what could have been. We have very expensive equipment and insurance. We do things others don't and we don't rip anyone. It is what it is and we ain't trying to make all our money in the same place. Our family business has been around over 30 years. We take pride in our work and we have customers that will wait for us to be there. Accountability goes even farther these days. For you say something ignorant like that with no background doesn't hold much weight. I was just using that as an example for businesses trying to stay above water.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have no idea what you're talking about. The $1,200 minimum isn't even high in my line of work. In fact most love to pay it, that meaning they got out cheap on what could have been. We have very expensive equipment and insurance. We do things others don't and we don't rip anyone. It is what it is and we ain't trying to make all our money in the same place. Our family business has been around over 30 years. We take pride in our work and we have customers that will wait for us to be there. Accountability goes even farther these days. For you say something ignorant like that with no background doesn't hold much weight. I was just using that as an example for businesses trying to stay above water.
keep on telling yourself that. should tell everyone what you do for your $1200 min. that's so special. maybe ill eat crow!

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the service business and have been for over 30 yrs, the service charge gets the professional on site, any labor is usually charged on top of that, my service call in Tulsa/BA is 65.00 ( may need to increase that) then unlocking a door, rekeying a lock, repairing a lock, etc… is charged over the SC, it doesn’t matter if I’m next door or across town you pay me to show up !

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the service business and have been for over 30 yrs, the service charge gets the professional on site, any labor is usually charged on top of that, my service call in Tulsa/BA is 65.00 ( may need to increase that) then unlocking a door, rekeying a lock, repairing a lock, etc… is charged over the SC, it doesn’t matter if I’m next door or across town you pay me to show up !
thats fair pricing i know your business

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand your logic. But I work in the oil and gas industry.
Me also after 30 years in constuction heat air etc . what do you do. i don't mind eating crow. what costs 1200 to show up its not a general service these guys are talking about obviously.

Last edited:

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Just a rant here to let off a little steam. We bought a water softener from Culligan's in Chickasha a little over 5 years ago when bought our home. Tech guy was great. Price was reasonable. Fast forward to last December and I noticed we're going through salt like crazy. Called for a tech to come out. They said it'd be 2 weeks or so...busy. Just a couple days later I get a call from a tech who says something along the lines "I know we're not scheduled but I finished a job about 5 mins away and wondering if I could come by now just to take a quick look.". I work from home so said sure - would save you from making another trip from Chickasha to Tuttle. He stopped by, noticed our settings had defaulted back to factory, made a quick change to our default settings and done. No tools. Took maybe 5 mins at our home. Great guy and mentioned again was in the area for another call. He says up to office if billed anything.

Well, I just got a bill for $100 for a service call. I called them asking about it and got a very rude lady on the phone who stated just as soon as I mentioned it that "EVERYONE PAYS THE $100 SERVICE CALL FEE". I stayed calm and tried to explain I saved them from having to make another trip but she just blasted me this is how it is and has been for over 10 years. Told her I hadn't had to have anyone out yet so didn't realize. Didn't matter. Her panties were in a wad long before I called! Must be the Monday blues for some. I even told her I wasn't disputing that I needed service and had an appt in a couple of weeks just felt $100 was steep since tech was just around the block. She then informed me that plumbers charge $120 for a service fee so there's was below going rates. Wow. Honestly had no reply so hung up. Going to have to get my wife to call them back for payment info as there's no way I could do it. Going to put on a credit card vs check so they'll have to at least pay the cc charge to the business! That'll learn 'em!!

I'll just use the Culligan's from OKC going forward as they will service Tuttle also. Rant over!!
I'd be curious as to what you pay works out to on an hourly basis. Figure your gross pay plus at least 2/3 or more plus any paid benefits added to that is what it cost your employer to employ you. Now figure in the overhead for a mobile technician, wages, paid benefits, payroll taxes, continued training, vehicle, tools, insurance, etc, etc... Now figure in a profit margin for the company. A $100 minimum service charge is pretty light.
When I was running PBX service for AT&T our minimum service charge for non-contract customers was $250 and that was 20 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom