Setting up a Trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing hard about transferring NFA items owned by an individual. They transfer tax free on an ATF Form 5 to your lawful heirs.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1999/09/090599-openletter-nfa-estate-transfers.html

Before and/or after death? That letter seems to only deal with estates. Am I misunderstanding your statement? It sounds to me that you are saying I can roll my current NFA items I own individually to a trust with a Form 5 tax free. I thought they had to transfer with a Form 4 and the appropriate tax (in my case $200 ea).

Thanks

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before and/or after death? That letter seems to only deal with estates. Am I misunderstanding your statement? It sounds to me that you are saying I can roll my current NFA items I own individually to a trust with a Form 5 tax free. I thought they had to transfer with a Form 4 and the appropriate tax (in my case $200 ea).

Thanks

The executor of your estate can transfer your individually owned NFA items to your lawful heir (another individual or trust) on a tax free form 5 AFTER YOUR DEATH. If you want to move them from you to a trust while you are still alive you will have to transfer them on tax paid form 4's.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The executor of your estate can transfer your individually owned NFA items to your lawful heir (another individual or trust) on a tax free form 5 AFTER YOUR DEATH. If you want to move them from you to a trust while you are still alive you will have to transfer them on tax paid form 4's.

We are on the same page then! That is the way I thought it was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom