Setting Up Dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was using a single stage press without the quick change bushings I could setup dies in 10 minutes. Now that I have progressive press with the quick change bushings, it takes me an hour to setup a new set of dies. But, in the morning I will be reloading 357 mag rounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you get them set up, it should take no more than a couple of minutes to change. You are using different quick change bushings for each set of dies, right?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which progressive press are you using? I have a Dillon 650, and I have separate heads loaded with a set of dies each. Once they’re set up, I can change out one head for another, check to make sure the settings are still good, and I’m off and running.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the hornady bushings, once they are setup it just takes a few minutes to change out to a different set. That is why it now takes me awhile to remember how to setup a new set.
it has been a couple of years since I set up any dies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the hornady bushings, once they are setup it just takes a few minutes to change out to a different set. That is why it now takes me awhile to remember how to setup a new set.
it has been a couple of years since I set up any dies.
LOL, Ok its operator error.
Yeah, once set up, its a slam dunk. My two most often loaded is .223 and .40.
I have seperate powder measures for them as well so I only have to drop a couple of powder charges to verify and start cranking that handle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a scribed line on the Nut on top of my press and an arrow pointing to it. I also use a sharpie to draw a line on my die body
to reference against that line for the bullet I am using ..You can multiple lines for different bullets. make a list of what color line for what bullet.
Less than 2 minutes to remove a die and stick another one in and start loading.

001.JPG

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the hornady progressive as well and it does seem to take forever to set up a new set of dies. But man once its set its just a matter of minutes to do a caliber change.
I got it all set up and loaded 100 357 mag rounds in about 10 minutes.
I kept adjusting my powder measure between 4.8 and 5.1 for a couple of minutes before I realized it was two stations back. I would adjust it, pull the handle, weigh the powder, adjust it, pull the handle weigh the powder, all while talking to my mother on the phone. After about 5 tries, I realized I needed to advance the case two stations before I checked the weight. I felt like a dumbass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom