Setting up the reloading bench

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just about finished with a corner dedicated to reloading. In the past my two presses were in different areas. Now I have them on the same bench. I have limited room so I need to use space efficiently. Question for those who have more than one press, have you found a minimum or comfortable spacing between presses and walls or other obstacles?

I tend to be slightly to the left side when I operate both of these presses. And I don’t want to drill holes in my bench until I have things where they work best. The strips on the wall are cleats so I can easily move shelves around without drilling holes in the walls.

91F4E14A-5821-4B32-B224-369AACEA02C0.jpeg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An old picture. But I have a cabinet up against the left side now and it is 14” from the base of the left press to the cabinet. I have since moved a 650 to that position. And there is 17” between it and the center press if I have one the dock. Measurements from the base of the presses.

You should be fine as you have it pictured. If you want more space, you might consider a quick mount of some sort for your 550 and hang it on the wall when not in use. That is where my 550 usually resides now, on the wall.

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice setup. The distance between your two presses (upper picture) is almost exactly the same as the distance between my two Lee presses, and I've found that to be quite convenient (it has worked well for me since 2016).

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. you have provided some great information. I think I am going to try to get about 18-20” on the left side of the 550. I might turn the 650 so it faces the end of the bench instead of the front as it is in the picture. That would get me unlimited “shoulder space” to the left of the press.

Latest posts

Top Bottom