Sharing my home security system knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last three months I have installed five Honeywell Total Connect security systems at properties owned by myself and my family. In doing so I have learned a LOT about installing and programming these systems and getting set up for self-monitoring via smartphone app for as little as $13 month. Before embarking on this massive DIY project I got several quotes for these systems which would have cost me considerably more up-front for the install and $40-50 per month monitoring on a three year contract. In the process I came to the realization that alarm companies are way overpriced and while this stuff isn't exactly easy to do it is possible. Over the next 10 years I will have saved myself literally thousands of dollars, plus I now know the ins and outs of my alarm if something goes wrong and won't have to pay a service call for a repair.

I mention this here because I have received a lot of assistance over the years with gun and other types of questions and just wanted to add my new knowledge to the collective brain trust that is OSA. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a quick question (hope this thread is an appropriate place). Is there anyway around a monthly rate pricing structure to setting up a home security system--is there a DIY option where I buy everything outright? For instance, if I purchased and installed the cameras, hired someone to do the wiring, and set up a server with software for the cameras, etc. could I avoid paying a monthly fee in perpetuity? Thanks!

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay way from the all-in-one panels, where the cell radio is in the touch panel. All an attacker has to do after kicking your door in is smash that panel, and the alarm is gone. Eg the Honeywell Lynx Touch panels.

Ring launched a security system of their own that will ship in November. Ring takes product security pretty seriously, so I anticipate few issues with this product. Monitoring is $10/mo or $100/yr.
https://ring.com/protect-security-kit

I'd like to ask a quick question (hope this thread is an appropriate place). Is there anyway around a monthly rate pricing structure to setting up a home security system--is there a DIY option where I buy everything outright? For instance, if I purchased and installed the cameras, hired someone to do the wiring, and set up a server with software for the cameras, etc. could I avoid paying a monthly fee in perpetuity? Thanks!

For cameras, you could use IP cameras and feed to a PC running something like BlueIris. You'd need a bit of storage on the PC, but it's commonly done. Electricians could run low voltage lines pretty easily to wherever you need them - PoE cameras a pretty popular for this. For PoE you'd need a PoE network switch to feed the cameras network and power. Since IP cameras are pretty horrible at security, you'd want your equipment to isolate them from your main network.
There are also IP cameras like the Nest and Lighthouse that have cloud storage options and AI (eg "We see someone on camera we've never seen before, Alert!")

Check out the Home Defense subreddit on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homedefense/

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. We did the same with our SimpliSafe system, and it works well. Hardly a problem EVER.

I started out this journey with their competitor, Livewatch. I just didn't dig the equipment that they sent, which was not what the "consultant" on the phone had said it would be. I ended up sending it all back and looking further. Part of the issue was that my house already had a wired system so it just seemed crazy to convert to all wireless.

Alarms and camera systems, while sometimes integrated on the same app, are technically two different systems. Most of my knowledge is on the actual alarm system. On that, if you want to monitor remotely and be able to arm/disarm the system from an app, the lowest price I could find is $8/month for using your own internet connection. I wanted cell monitoring and the lowest I could find for that was $13/month which is actually dual path internet/cell. It is possible to just install the equipment with no monitoring and just arm/disarm from a local keypad.

As far as cameras, there's a lot of cheesy things like Blink. I tried a few and didn't like them. I ended up buying a 12 camera system with an NVR. I got it all up and running but my network just didn't have the bandwidth for the 9 cameras I was trying to run. I have five buildings, the furthest of which are over 100' apart and my network is Ethernet over powerline. If it were wired I think it would have worked out great. I ended up using some 480i D-Link cameras that I already owned. They're great for checking on things if one of my outdoor sensors trips from what typically turns out to be a deer.

Stay way from the all-in-one panels, where the cell radio is in the touch panel. All an attacker has to do after kicking your door in is smash that panel, and the alarm is gone. Eg the Honeywell Lynx Touch panels.

Agree. I went with a Vista 20P and while it was a steep learning curve I'm so glad I went that route.

From what I read it only effects your bandwidth when you are viewing form outside ie cell phone or computer.

This is true for your up/down internet bandwidth but if you place network (IP) cameras on your network they will chew up some of your local network bandwidth. Might not bean issue for a quick wired network but it was too much for my ethernet over powerline network.

Latest posts

Top Bottom