Sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone in the metro OKC do any sharpening in their spare time or have a shop they recommend? I just received a sweet microtech ultratech in trade and could use a freshening up. I did some googling and some people say they are a pain to sharpen.

I have many kershaws and usually send mine in for free sharpening, but would like to find a local instead of waiting a few weeks.

The Microtech blade is tanto partially serrated

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes me enjoy my cheapo, no warranty, replaceable blades so I can keep a sharp spare on hand and if it gets dropped in a pit of lava or otherwise destroyed I'm out 15 bucks.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man what good news lol. Well its still a sweet knife. I'm wondering if they are the same way as kershaw with auto knives? Kershaw says to have them sharpen an auto, you have to use an authorized dealer to send and receive, instead of regular mail there and back.

Kind of a pain.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I picked up a sharpmaker sharpener. I tried to sharpen one of my kershaws and it didn't get much better of an edge. I tried the 30* back bevel also. I even tried to go more strokes on step one edge, like 40 per side and still not impressed with the edge.

I was like wtf, so I took a kitchen knife that was pretty dull and it came out sharp enough for the walmart receipt test.

Guys have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe the angle or whatever is messed up. As I took it to the flea market a few weeks ago and had an older fella sharpen it for me.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I picked up a sharpmaker sharpener. I tried to sharpen one of my kershaws and it didn't get much better of an edge. I tried the 30* back bevel also. I even tried to go more strokes on step one edge, like 40 per side and still not impressed with the edge.

I was like wtf, so I took a kitchen knife that was pretty dull and it came out sharp enough for the walmart receipt test.

Guys have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe the angle or whatever is messed up. As I took it to the flea market a few weeks ago and had an older fella sharpen it for me.

It's possible that you are sharpening the shoulder of the edge and not the actual edge. Take a sharpie and color the edge of the knife. Then run it on the sharpmaker and see where it is taking off metal.

Also what stones are you using and are you doing the flat and pointed sides? I can usually take a butter knife dull knife to razor sharp with only the medium and fine stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I will try the sharpie test.

I started with the grey sticks pointed side, then flat side. 20-40 strokes per side. Then the white sticks point first, then flat side same # of strokes as the grey.

I tried the 30* also as per directions if not getting results, then go on to the 40*. But this didn't make much difference.

I tried to get a close up of the blade here

Attachments

• IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 184

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the sharpie test, if it isn't making contact on the actual edge, do I adjust my angle left or right on my stroke? Instead of keeping the blade 100% vertical

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the sharpie test, if it isn't making contact on the actual edge, do I adjust my angle left or right on my stroke? Instead of keeping the blade 100% vertical

That is one option. If you're hitting the shoulder your knife has a really wide bevel on it. The best thing to do is re-profile the edge with the 30 degree side if you plan on re sharpening it a lot. It will take awhile but it's worth it. You'll get a better cutting edge and performance by re profiling the edge.

Unfortunately, lower end knives can have really bad grinds and uneven bevels on them. Heck even some of my Spyderco's have had uneven grinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom