She keeps stealing my toys.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ask her politely to make sure she wears it. It's a habit from my work requirements when on equipment.

:hey3:
Just remember, if the seat belt is on, the roll bar should be up. If the roll bar is down, you shouldnt wear a seatbelt. In case of a roll over, you want the roll bar to keep the mower off of you if you are strapped in. If the roll bar is down, you would rather be able to jump clear before the mower rolls on top of you.

Same rule applies for tractors.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seat belts on ZTR's, not as simple as you might think....

Read your owners manual.
I bet it says to use it if the roll bar is up and to not use it if the roll bar is down (as pictured).

The seat belt prevents you from being ejected or exiting the machine.

When that bar is up you want to be attached to the machine if it rolls, because the bar will protect you if you are in the seat.

When the bar is down, you are better off ejected from the machine than with it resting on top of you.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally i dont like seatbelts or rollbars on a mower has had to many of the rollbars get caught on low laying tree limb and nearly flip me backwards.
Even on my dad's smaller farm tractor, the roll bar stays down and seatbelt stays off. Ive yet to completely bail off one, but I have had my left foot on the clutch and my right foot picking out a safe spot to land uphill with the tractor up on one front wheel, hahaha. I quickly developed a reflex to drop the box/brushhog on the back, bucket on the front, and jam the clutch in at a moments notice, hahaha.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point on the ROPS on the Bad Boy. Didn't really think of it like that. Luckily the areas needing mowing by the ZT is all flat. ROPS was down because we have a fair amount of low tree branches that get hung up. My habits from work are because every piece we have has a ROPS and in many cases if you are caught on a machine, even if just moving it from point A to point B you can find yourself fired.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can I give Mrs 788 my address please ? I don’t like mowing.

What's not to like about mowing like that,,,
You're basically driving a fancy go-kart around the yard.

I find it somewhat funny that I delay mowing my yard,,,
Then when I actually get on my lawn tractor,,,
I find it to be a relaxing hour and a bit.

Now mowing my childhood acre and a half yard with a 2.5 HP push mower,,,
That was a job to dread and hate.

Aarond

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's not to like about mowing like that,,,
You're basically driving a fancy go-kart around the yard.

I find it somewhat funny that I delay mowing my yard,,,
Then when I actually get on my lawn tractor,,,
I find it to be a relaxing hour and a bit.

Now mowing my childhood acre and a half yard with a 2.5 HP push mower,,,
That was a job to dread and hate.

Aarond

Haha, on a riding mower, I drive it like I am on a road track. We currently push mow ours, but need to get a ZTR once we get the other 4 acres smoothed and seeded. It takes about 3-3.5 hours of push mowing and weedeating to get it knocked out. I always dread it until I get started. Once I start I crank the angry metal music and think about my thoughts for a few hours. It is normally quite pleasant as long as it isnt 100* outside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom