Shed organization ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a 10x12 and no matter what I do, it’s never organized well enough. Probably needed to go bigger to begin with.
I have the Rubbermaid smart track on one wall for shovels, weed eater etc and some ugly ass shelves I built using scrap wood on the other. the smart track is nice but getting extra hooks is a little pricier than it should be in my opinion.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done a couple of things to save space in the past. (Living in an RV, I no longer even have a garage.) In our garages in the past, I've taken 2x6's or 2x8's and drilled holes at a slight angle every 3 or 4 inches along the board. Those holes are just big enough to insert 5/8" dowel rods that have been cut to about 6 or 8 inches long. Once they are fastened to the wall, the dowel rods have a slight upward angle. Being that the holes are along the board, one can move the dowel rods around to better fit whatever tool one wants to hang. I generally put up this system at two levels to allow for longer handled tools to hang from the top board and shorter ones from the lower board.

With one small shed that we had, I attached pulleys to the ceiling in the middle of the shed between the two lofts. Then, I drilled four holes in the corners of a couple of lightweight wheelbarrow type carts. I then took some rope and attached S-hooks to hook into those holes so that I could then lift those wheelbarrows up in the middle of the shed and above my head so that they weren't taking up valuable floor space. The ropes suspending them were then tied off to eye-bolts screwed into a couple of wall studs.

vickylblake73

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been busy getting my shed in order finally after almost a year of having it. It’s a double loft design which is handy for storing totes that don’t come down very often. I built some shelf’s today inside to take care of a few items that seemed to just stay on the floor and in my way but now I need some ideas on storing the garden tools like shovels, rakes, post hole diggers, etc… I also think my Toro push mower folds up to where I can actually hang it on the wall, anyone else have a push mower that does that, not sure if that’s healthy for the motor or not… Anyways if y’all don’t mind, post your shed organization tricks! I need ideas!
Peg boards with hooks work. Shelves. Then you can come organize mine. 😆

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been busy getting my shed in order finally after almost a year of having it. It’s a double loft design which is handy for storing totes that don’t come down very often. I built some shelf’s today inside to take care of a few items that seemed to just stay on the floor and in my way but now I need some ideas on storing the garden tools like shovels, rakes, post hole diggers, etc… I also think my Toro push mower folds up to where I can actually hang it on the wall, anyone else have a push mower that does that, not sure if that’s healthy for the motor or not… Anyways if y’all don’t mind, post your shed organization tricks! I need ideas!
For shovels and forks, and that sort of thing, a bucket of oily sand keeps them located, clean, and rust-free.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If'n you get down to OKC I can fix you up with commercial metal shelves for free.

1650139728150.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If'n you get down to OKC I can fix you up with commercial metal shelves for free.

View attachment 266488

Too bad this thread didn't come up a week ago. I could have delivered for free as we went up that way for my sister's 81st birthday. We even stayed in a hotel in Guymon because there was enough family showing up from out of town that the family living in Keyes had their bedrooms all taken.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For shovels, rakes, and such I just screwed 2x4”s into a corner about 3’ up from the ground in a 2’x2’ square. Did the same at ground level and ran a vertical board between the 2 points. Then everything just stood vertically in that corner. You can also hang smaller hand tools from hooks on that upper ring.

wish I still had pictures from my old shed to show you. My new place has lots of wall space to hang things up high.

Latest posts

Top Bottom