Sheriff Tax Warrant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how a (Personal Property) Tax Warrant works?

I am asking because I have a letter from my Sheriff and the tax people saying they will issue one if I dont pay taxes for the year 2010, the thing is, they were paid. I have looked up the law and read as much as I can, but I am not well versed in legalese writings. I do understand that I will be forced to pay for the warrant and the cost of the auction, so the bill would go even higher.

Long story in short form, we pay our taxes with our Fed Tax return, they get paid when delinquent, ( tax return in March, bill is delinquent Jan 1st) just a fact of being poor. But the 2010 taxes HAVE BEEN PAID. The thing is I must prove it with a receipt, I cant find it, they get paid in cash, that is a long time for that slip of paper to be who knows where.

What I am looking for is how does this work. I understand they will come take items from my house to be sold at auction to pay the taxes, but do the items get sold for anything close to the value? Or does the local pawn shop buy all my stuff for $20 and then will the sheriff come back to get more? What if the items sell for more than the bill? Do they give that to me?

How is it going to work if they take what stuff I have, and then , we do find that stupid receipt from at least 7 years ago? Does that allow me to file theft charges or will they get to claim because of a warrant they are safe from criminal wrong doings? How would I get my stuff back? Because I would sure want my items back, not a "we are sorry, here is some cash".

These are all serious questions. In 2010 I paid just over $200 for the tax bill, now with penalties it is $412, even if I had the money to pay again, I WOULD NOT, IT HAS BEEN PAID.

I have sent letters to both he tax office and the sheriff, not sure anyone other than some clerk has seen them, the replies I had sent to me did not have a signature on them, so I have no idea who or how high up the person is that sent a reply.

One of the items I sent is a printed screen shot of the tax office web page showing no person with my last name owes any "unpaid taxes". This confuses me, but does not seem to matter to anyone else.

I am trying to decide how to respond and any help and information would be great.

I an in Osage County, and I live in "manufactured housing" so I get the personal property tax. I have paid it for 25 years and other than this bill, that I am disputing, everything is up to date.

I appreciate any ideas, suggestions or leads as to my next step. Oh and saying pay them again, will be a waste of time, I will repeat myself, the bill was paid. :)

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but standing on principle will not save your property from confiscation. If I were you I would pay the $400 and some-odd dollars with a personal check (so you have a back-up record to the receipt they give you).

I know this has been going on a while now. You need to take care of it and get rid of that stress. Some lessons are harder than others to learn. This is a lesson in keeping up with old records better -- ESPECIALLY if you insist on paying in cash.

Oh ... and finding the receipt after the auction or sale will only net you the face value of the receipt, not the value of the property they sold.

I remember you asking about this before so I'm assuming you have verified this as a legitimate bill with the Tax Accessor's office. Go to the office -- do not mail it in.

Last edited:

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only tax delinquent sales I have been to are for property taxes that were on the 3rd year of delinquency and they auction the actual property or land off, whatever is on it is included as a whole. The auction bid starts at the amount of taxes are owed, if nobody bids then the county get its. What ever amount of money over the taxes owed minus fines/fees etc are paid back to the land owner before the auction.

I'm not an expert, and could be wrong, I think the regulations are state laws but auctions are held at county level.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would contact the Sheriffs office in person to verify it is a legitimate document. If so, they can direct you to the department or people you need to talk to. If the money was paid, they should have a record of it too.

Scammers use all kind of schemes to separate honest people from their money. I received a robo-call two days ago telling me that it was the IRS and I was behind in my taxes and there were two warrants for my arrest and that if I didn’t call a number given on the recording, I would be arrested that day.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would contact the Sheriffs office to verify it is a legitimate document. If so, they can direct you to the department or people you need to talk to.

Scammers use all kind of schemes to separate honest people from their money. I received a robo-call two days ago telling me that it was the IRS and I was behind in my taxes and there were two warrants for my arrest and that if I didn’t call a number given on the recording, I would be arrested that day.

I SO enjoy those types of phone calls. I give the number to the Attorney General's Office and tell them that is my employer and they can garnish my check by contacting them. :blush:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The county treasurer must have a copy of your receipt or at the least an accounting of the money received and from whom it was received when the treasurer deposited it in the bank.... Unless, of course, you never did receive a receipt or the money was never credited to your bill and the money fell into someone's pocket. YMMV.

Those receipt forms should be printed with sequential numbers. A gap in the numbering coinciding with the approximate time you paid your bill would be suspicious. Again, YMMV.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom