Shipping container home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago there was a discussion with pictures and how to of someone who built a shipping container home. They got two shipping containers and welded them together.
I tried to search but was unable to find the thread. Any help would be appreciated

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
geodesic domes up top with buried shipping container tunnels is the way to go.

i just wish i already had the shipping containers when they were cheap :(

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago there was a discussion with pictures and how to of someone who built a shipping container home. They got two shipping containers and welded them together.
I tried to search but was unable to find the thread. Any help would be appreciated
Here is a link to a you tube video. These people are distant neighbors and friends of mine in New Mexico. They are and have been building a house by welding two shipping containers together. They have quite a few videos on you tube about living off the grid. Hope it helps!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In our travels we are seeing entire multi-level mini shopping malls made from welded conex containers.
Albuquerque NM had one containing mini bars, trinket shops, clothing, food, etc with a covered open court yard for overflow seating. On weekends they had live music. All were connected one way or another by catwalks with handrails.
Guessing over 100 containers in that mini mall. Some stores were two or more welded together for extra space.
we didn’t feel crowded at all.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’s a place In Choctaw that sells a lot of them. They also have a guy on site that puts in windows and doors. Might be economical if you’re not wanting to do it yourself or hire it out.

You can have a small architectural firm put together the plans. Then have the openings cut and braced. Move them on site with most of the welding completed. Put in doors and windows. Insulate plumb and wire.

There’s theories on encapsulating the floor with epoxy, removing the floor or just covering with 1” foam insulation under a new plywood subfloor. Some don’t worry about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom