Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question of the day: do you try to match your SD ammo as close to that of your practice ammo, in weight and velocity? Or are you of the notion that in up close situations where you would use a pistol to defend yourself, the difference in trajectory is not critical?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I am of the notion that in up close situations where I would use a pistol to defend myself, the difference in trajectory is not critical. I typically use whatever cheap and available 115 Gr FMJ for practice/range time and 124 Gr Gold Dots or Federal HST +P for carry. I've shot a bunch of my carry rounds through my carry guns and do not notice any significant differences.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may load up a mag and alternate ammo and "shoot for groups" to see how they compare. Shooting SD ammo on the regular sure gets expensive though...I couldnt afford for 50% of my shooting to be with that.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found that shooting 124 grain FMJ mostly S&B or Aguila which are pretty close in POI to my carry load of Sig v-crown 124's. However when one increases the range to say 50 or even a hundred yards the natural arc of movement makes way more difference than variations between ball and defensive loading's.
The one area of training for PDW's that bugs me is the reluctance of folks to incorporate malfunction drills into their training regimen. I can understand if your only shooting option is a public indoor range. However one of the first things I like to do to folks who think themselves urban commandos is slip a couple dummy rounds into their magazines and watch the reaction. It often times takes them completely out of their rhythm. I am lucky along with my wife and adult kids when they visit to have an outdoor shooting area one half mile from our home and the shop. We usually run some kind of practice/training at least once a week. Usually expend 500-800 rounds per week doing live fire. We can drive cars on our range which is really a boon to training for situations that come up in your vehicle. Really want to have fun with someone run a malfunction drill on them by surprise while they are shooting from their car. I think developing the muscle memory and primitive brain capacity to deal with problems is far more important than the difference between shooting walmart Perfecta and Federal HST. With one proviso Don't take that handgun hostage rescue shot with ammo you have not put on paper a lot. That's my opinion take it for what I charged you for it folks.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot the same weight in FMJ for practice. I do shoot several mags of the ammo I choose to carry to be confident that I won't have a FTF or FTE before carrying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom