Shooting a Glock again after a year and a half

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 in the spring of 2016. It immediately began throwing brass back to my face. Tried different ammo and shooters, Glock had me send it back to them, and they called after shooting it and said it couldn't be fixed. They replaced it with a 26 and I sold it a few months after buying it to buy a couple of revolvers.

Fast forward to today and I was at the outdoor gun range and started taking to a guy out there. I was shooting a Springfield XD9 Sub Compact 9mm and he had a Glock 19 Gen 4. He tried mine out and offered me the opportunity to shoot his. I initially passed since I had owned one, but then decided to take him up on the offer.

I only fired one magazine of 15 rounds, but it sure felt good and shot well. While I really like the XD9 Sub Compact, it got me thinking about maybe trying a Glock 19 again. The lack of a manual safety or grip safety, plus my initial experience with a Glock 19, didn't have them on my 9mm consideration list but might give that a bit more thought.

I have been very pleased with the XD9 SC and have owned it for more than a year with flawless function and accurate shooting. Don't see getting rid of it because I like the 13/16 magazine options, but I was pleasantly surprised I liked the Glock so well.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While my first handgun was a Rossi revolver, the first semi-auto was a Glock 23C. Over time, I found that I wasn't that pleased with shooting a .40 caliber and ended up going with some Springfield Armory semi-autos in .45. I still have the Glock 23C, and if fortune smiles on me, it will be joined by a Glock 30SF some day.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only fired one magazine of 15 rounds, but it sure felt good and shot well. While I really like the XD9 Sub Compact, it got me thinking about maybe trying a Glock 19 again. The lack of a manual safety or grip safety, plus my initial experience with a Glock 19, didn't have them on my 9mm consideration list but might give that a bit more thought.

You might take a look at the new M&P 2.0 Compact if a manual safety is important to you. It is the exact size of a Glock G19 and is available with a manual safety. 15 round or you can use 17 round FS magazines.
8bc3f5aba81eb47c8cf723d34a749508.jpg

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While my first handgun was a Rossi revolver, the first semi-auto was a Glock 23C. Over time, I found that I wasn't that pleased with shooting a .40 caliber and ended up going with some Springfield Armory semi-autos in .45. I still have the Glock 23C, and if fortune smiles on me, it will be joined by a Glock 30SF some day.
You might take a look at the Glock 30S. It has the Glock 30SF frame with the Glock 36 slide on it. Easier to conceal and mine runs flawlessly. Just a thought

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 in the spring of 2016. It immediately began throwing brass back to my face. Tried different ammo and shooters, Glock had me send it back to them, and they called after shooting it and said it couldn't be fixed. They replaced it with a 26 and I sold it a few months after buying it to buy a couple of revolvers.

Fast forward to today and I was at the outdoor gun range and started taking to a guy out there. I was shooting a Springfield XD9 Sub Compact 9mm and he had a Glock 19 Gen 4. He tried mine out and offered me the opportunity to shoot his. I initially passed since I had owned one, but then decided to take him up on the offer.

I have been very pleased with the XD9 SC and have owned it for more than a year with flawless function and accurate shooting. Don't see getting rid of it because I like the 13/16 magazine options, but I was pleasantly surprised I liked the Glock so well.

Dont forget you can run G17 mags in your G19 for a choice of 15 or 17 rounds.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the gen-4’s first came out there were problems with failure to feed, failure to eject and brass to face.

The FTF/FTE problems were caused by the dual spring recoil spring assembly which was new to the 17/19. The RSA was catching on the end of the slide causing it to malfunction.

When complaints started coming in their customer service people were telling everyone that the gen-4’s were designed to be used with NATO spec ammo, that the Wally World Winchester White Box wasn’t producing enough recoil.

Glock sent me three different RSA’s before I got one that would function reliably. The newer gen-4’s now have a redesigned RSA and slide. Not long afterwards there was a design change in the slide to accept a better RSA.

There was also a problem with the designs of the ejector and extractor. The design angle was throwing brass in the face of the shooter. This was also finally corrected.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the gen-4’s first came out there were problems with failure to feed, failure to eject and brass to face...This was ... finally corrected.

And I am so glad it is a thing of the past! My Gen 4 19 is flawless. The only problem I have with it is I run out of ammo to fast!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the gen-4’s first came out there were problems with failure to feed, failure to eject and brass to face.

The FTF/FTE problems were caused by the dual spring recoil spring assembly which was new to the 17/19. The RSA was catching on the end of the slide causing it to malfunction.

When complaints started coming in their customer service people were telling everyone that the gen-4’s were designed to be used with NATO spec ammo, that the Wally World Winchester White Box wasn’t producing enough recoil.

Glock sent me three different RSA’s before I got one that would function reliably. The newer gen-4’s now have a redesigned RSA and slide. Not long afterwards there was a design change in the slide to accept a better RSA.

There was also a problem with the designs of the ejector and extractor. The design angle was throwing brass in the face of the shooter. This was also finally corrected.

I thought tupperware was a no fail, most reliable weapon on earth? WTF?