Shooting an AR10 suppressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a DPMS 308 that had a bull barrel on it. I wanted to be able to use a suppressor on it and came across a deal on a complete upper with a threaded barrel so I got it. I had read in the past that you can get away with shooting an AR15 suppressed without making any gas adjustment, but in 308 you need to gas it down or else it will be too hard on the internals and eventually something will break. So I bought an adjustable BCG that uses a drilled and threaded gas key and an allen head screw to adjust how much goes through the hole. Seemed like an easy way to go from suppressed to non with just a twist of the screw from wide open to the suppressed position. In practice however it has proven unreliable. I get it set for proper ejection while suppressed, but after a while it begins to cycle slower till eventually I start getting stove pipes. I guess the small gas opening is getting fouled.

I was wondering about other options to slow the BCG. Should I try a heavier M3 buffer or stronger spring? I would prefer to resorting to an adjustable gas block as my last option.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if you have a problem or not. I've been running two AR10s suppressed for years without adjustable gas blocks. If you think more weight will help you can just slip a weight in the rear of your current bolt carrier. If you can't find one to buy, they are easy to make.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So your gas adjustment is on the BCG instead of the gas block? I personally would never touch one of those. Sounds like a money pit waiting to happen.

Kind of a rule of thumb for this kind of thing if you don't have a barrel "cartridge" set up for suppressed/unsuppressed, is to take your new barrel and open up the gas port to whatever you or the general consensus thinks is the largest allowable. Then put on an adjustable gas block.

There are about 50 different ways people adjust the gas block for both suppressed and unsuppressed and they're all experts so I won't touch it now, maybe later.

Putting on an adjustable gas block without opening up your gas port is pretty much a waste of time and $$$.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I’ve got 2 AR-10’s that I run both suppressed and not. Never had an issue with either. They each toss the brass within a foot when I run it suppressed vs not, so never saw the need to adjust anything.

One is one of the original Remington R-25’s with a 20” barrel and the other is a DPMS G2 with 16” barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom