Shooting At Computer Hard Drives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have had several old desktop computers languishing in my closet for years. One was so old it had Windows 95 in it. Finally my wife wanted rid of them because they were taking up too much space. I didn't want to toss them for fear someone could take the hard drive out and retrieve the information. So I took them out on the patio, pulled them apart, and removed the hard drives.

The other day I took them to the range, along with my Ruger Model 77 Stainless in .30-06. I set them out on a berm at 75 yards, and had at them. The results were all similar to this one. These things are really tough! They're made from a very heavy cast Aluminum housing. The Western Digital models like the one in the photos seem to be the toughest. But the 168 Gr. Sierra Matchking sailed right through, no problem.

The first shot hit just to the left of center, right under the bar code. The next one nicked the edge, but as you can see in the other photo, it blew the whole upper left corner of the housing completely off, exposing the platter and arm. It landed on edge, so I put one edgewise into the right side, and that pretty much finished it off. That last shot blew the unit right over the top of the berm, and I found it about 30 feet on the other side of the berm itself.

The other hard drives all met with a similar fate. It was fun to be able to shoot at something other than paper all the time. And I doubt that anyone will be extracting any information off of them now!

Ao2FrGg.jpg

glkiOPj.jpg

mQhI73T.jpg

5zgT0oA.jpg

1RgsVjZ.jpg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool pics! You can drive a nail through the top cover into the platters if it's cold outside next time and it does the same thing. Or take the cover off and scratch them with sandpaper. Not as fun, but even the Fed Bee eeye can't get data off it after that other than what's in the buffer (about 8mb worth)

Latest posts

Top Bottom