Shooting buddie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Clark

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have 80 acres in the timber, make a jungle run. Usually about 100-150 yds through the woods with targets scattered in the timber. Use a timer for a start, and take off running down the trail shooting the targets. It can be a combination of paper or steel, using a pistol or rifle. Or, if you want the most fun, its a jungle run with a shotgun. Use reactive targets like clay pigeons in the fork of tree's, and 12" lengths of thin walled steel pipe put on stakes in the ground with a little platform welded on top to stand the pipe on. (pipe has to be shot and knocked off the platform to count) Some plastic water line pipe works great as well if you can find some.
Have some buddies out and compete against the timer to see who is the fastest down the run. Add some targets that are hidden unless you move to another position, and see them. Force the shooter to shoot from one knee or prone, jumping up to move to the next set of targets.
That's my favorite style of blasting and having fun. At the end, your out of breath and the Adrenalin is pumping through you at max rate. Something about that beep of the timer really gets blood flowing.

You can also start shooting USPSA competition matches where shooters use pistols in a run and gun course against a timer to see who is the fastest.
Its a combination of steel and paper shot on the run. The OKC Gun Club is your nearest match and have the USPSA matches on the 1st Saturday of every month, with a Steel Challenge match shot on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
I recommend shooting the steel challenge style match first if your interested in competition. It can be shot with .22 rimfire rifle or pistol, centerfire pistol, or PCC which is a pistol caliber carbine rifle.
That sounds fun, I would definitely like to set somethin like that up. Thanks!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
steel is pretty fun..I got 2 leaf springs that are like 4" wide and 2 feet long from a scrap yard.
30-06 and .223 will not dent it.
I have not shot at my automotive leaf springs yet.. I have some lower ones the thick ones.
Standard iron and metal has fork lift forks..wonder how hard those are.. heavy as heck..Wonder if they would cut them down?

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I also live very close to Quail Springs Mall - 2 miles West in fact. I would love to come out and shoot and I have some friends that would as well. I do have a upper torso steel as well as a couple of round gongs. Just need somewhere to hang them.

Is your area all wooded or is there open area for longer distance? I have not shot the steel closer than 100 yards with anything other than handguns. At a distance I have used AR-15 and 30-06. Love the sound it makes.

How far distance wise can we get with a burm at the end with some labor help? I have friends with guns, ammo, and chainsaws...

Last edited:

Austin Clark

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I also live very close to Quail Springs Mall - 2 miles West in fact. I would love to come out and shoot and I have some friends that would as well. I do have a upper torso steel as well as a couple of round gongs. Just need somewhere to hang them.

Is your area all wooded or is there open area for longer distance? I have not shot the steel closer than 100 yards with anything other than handguns. At a distance I have used AR-15 and 30-06. Love the sound it makes.

How far distance wise can we get with a burm at the end with some labor help? I have friends with guns, ammo, and chainsaws...

I have 70 acres so with a chainsaw we could make a lane for pretty long shots. Just have to walk around a find the best spot to do it at. It has partially wooded areas with most of it being a field with a bunch of cedar trees. There's not too many open areas longer than 75 or 100 yds for clear shooting lanes but we could cut a few trees down and make whatever we needed to.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys do to add a little spark to your shooting? I haven't been into this whole thing a long time but I've been going a lot this last year and it seems like the paper targets just don't get me excited like they used to anymore. I've also been buying a lot of new guns/ ammo/ magazines/ and all of that but after I got what I needed and settled down, I've found that I need to do something different. That's why I want to buy some steel.

You need to do a run and gun and it'll you give some great ideas on different shooting scenarios to make it more interesting. We shoot in Luther a lot, you can always join us at the range out there.

Last edited:

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw this post. I live in Chandler and aside from running out to the river...yeah don't really want to do that...have never found a place to shoot. The Mrs., kids and I really enjoy range time but running all the way to Happy Hollow or the other direction to H&H rarely get done. We are looking for a place to buy but that is a few months down the road yet. Would love to have a place to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom