Shooting centerfire steel with rimfire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No problem at all. Go watch some slow mo of .22 hitting steel. Drops almost straight down.

Stay 10yrds away and wear eyepro and you will be more than 100% safe.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I got...wanted to be able to shoot pistols at it from 20yrds or more and rimfire rifles from 25yrds or more...The discs will hand plumb no matter the angle if the side posts, so not sure how I could angle them...BUT, since these are pistol targets, it would seem like a rimfire could move them enough to divert any ricochets?

https://www.atwoods.com/taylor-targets-centerfire-double-spinning-target
My pistol dueling tree is shot from 7 or 10 yards. Is it safe, I feel it is. The plates give upon impact, if they didn't it would be a different story. No where in our home am I going to shoot farther than 21 feet.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I got...wanted to be able to shoot pistols at it from 20yrds or more and rimfire rifles from 25yrds or more...The discs will hand plumb no matter the angle if the side posts, so not sure how I could angle them...BUT, since these are pistol targets, it would seem like a rimfire could move them enough to divert any ricochets?

I have a couple of the singles in that size. With a few well placed shots you can flip them over with a 22. So you should be fine. I'd suggest putting the frame in the ground at a slight angle so the plates are hanging a little in front of the bottom cross bar. This keeps the splatter from chewing up the frame, and also helps to keep them from leaning backwards after a few shots.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one of those.....
Get a pair of 2x4 scraps, drill a hole on the 2" side at the desired angle and the size of the legs from the target...use them as feet on the target. You can move them around really easily if desired, to mow around, while ground is frozen, etc.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of those.....
Get a pair of 2x4 scraps, drill a hole on the 2" side at the desired angle and the size of the legs from the target...use them as feet on the target. You can move them around really easily if desired, to mow around, while ground is frozen, etc.
Good idea, but these wil be moved around when I take them to buddy's farm and also the place we will put them is on about a 45* pond berm so the 2x4's would not be level enough to work.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instructions say "soft nose only", not FMJ? How many people are shooting swinging steel with soft nose semi-auto ammo? Can anyone confirm FMJ is okay?

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I got...wanted to be able to shoot pistols at it from 20yrds or more and rimfire rifles from 25yrds or more...The discs will be plumb no matter the angle if the side posts, so not sure how I could angle them...BUT, since these are pistol targets, it would seem like a rimfire could move them enough to divert any ricochets?

I have similar Spinners. One has three different sizes,. From 2.5 inches down to 1 inch. The other is a heavier metal, Top and bottom. I spin them at 200 yards with my .22 and my HMR. .17. The .17 HMR using a Hollow point does put some dents in that one. I just grind it down a little, and I use a self adhesive round Hi Vis when hit. Got to love those spinners when they spin.
You can see the close up on the heavier singer. That was the Hollow point. The pictures make it look deeper than it really is. And again the 17 HMR 200 yards

Attachments

• IMG_6957.jpg
    IMG_6957.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6958.jpg
    IMG_6958.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts