Shooting in Canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Canadian Customs officers can be as bad as our TSA. I flew into Montreal a few years ago, and my luggage didn't make it. I was questioned by two officers for over a hour as to why I was traveling without luggage (much of their conversation between them was in French). Then they didn't like the fact that I was there to do some work in an office we had there. They wanted to know why we couldn't have Canadians do the training.

The last thing I would want to do would be to attempt to take any type of firearm into Canada.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have very strict gun laws in Canada, a US citizen cannot enter the country with a handgun even theough they are enroute to Alaska as I understand it the last time I checked.

Allegedly you can get a transit permit to transport a revolver with a barrel length of at least 6 inches. I'm not gonna try. I ship my handguns on Alaska Airlines as airfreight.

On my last trip I had 500 rounds of ammo in my truck and they held me up for three hours. The Canadian Customs officer said it was excessive even though their own rules set a 5000 round maximum and I had printed it out. Finally a supervisor came out and without explanation or apology said I was free to proceed.

I hadn't heard of the transit permit that Yukonjack mentioned, but as an RV'er, I've heard all kinds of stories of RV'ers traveling into Canada. One story tells of the couple leaving ALL their firearms and ammunition with their son in one of the northern U.S. states. However, they failed to see (or remember) a single holster. In a search by the Canadian border people, they found that holster, and then they spent the next several hours literally searching every storage compartment, drawer, storage container, and looking in every "void area" to see if they could find a weapon. (A "void area" is an area that may be cut out for something else, such as an area of a dresser into which the drawers go.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No argument here.
Mexico is the same with their laws against importing. Most outfitters there also supply the guns and ammo for hunts.
I guess in the case of Bush II and Obama, we should hang them and their DOJ for running guns into Mexico for the drug cartels to use against our border patrol.
Sorry about the delay, wife reported an armadillo sighting when letting the dogs out and I had to go outside and defend my sovereign rights against armadillos. LOL :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of the transit permit that Yukonjack mentioned, but as an RV'er, I've heard all kinds of stories of RV'ers traveling into Canada. One story tells of the couple leaving ALL their firearms and ammunition with their son in one of the northern U.S. states. However, they failed to see (or remember) a single holster. In a search by the Canadian border people, they found that holster, and then they spent the next several hours literally searching every storage compartment, drawer, storage container, and looking in every "void area" to see if they could find a weapon. (A "void area" is an area that may be cut out for something else, such as an area of a dresser into which the drawers go.)
Our best friends are on a three month tour of Alaska in their fiver RV.
They took a shotgun and spent the time to get the permits. They had to undergo some stern questions even though the paperwork was in order but got to take the shotgun through.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A Customs Canada officer mentioned it to me. It doesn't sound like an easy process. Taking a shotgun or rifle across though is pretty straight forward. There's a form to fill out and a $25 dollar fee to pay. Attached link for transporting a handgun.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2237/original/60ad6ba26b8ed9179e2ae23ce82382ab.pdf

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=695

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was stopped at the Canadian border and asked if I had a weapon and I said, the only thing is a baton. The customs official said that was a weapon and said they’d take it from me or I could mail it back home. I mailed it.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Times have changed. Summer of 77 I drove from Oklahoma to Fairbanks, AK. Customs was only concerned with a couple of handguns. (I had several long guns) I had them listed w serial numbers on my military orders. They sealed them in a plastic bag and sent me on my way. Loved the AlCan Hwy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I don't buy that - many legally sane people are morally bankrupt or simply deluded or harboring exaggerated grievances which they feel justify violence but do not constitute mental illness or insanity.

I didn't say anything about legally. The overwhelming majority of people with mental health issues, don't even come close to the spectrum that can fall under a legal definition, at least currently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom