Shooting lead cast bullets in Springfield XD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to practice more which means I need to shoot more ammo. Is okay to shoot lead bullets I bought from JK Bullets in a semi auto? Any potential issues shooting it from my XDM, XD or a Glock?

I already have some Power Pistol powder.

Does anyone have any recipe recommendations for the following:

9mm 125g shooting from a 3" XD

.40 xxxg (haven't bought the bullets yet) shooting from a 4.5" XDM

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot cast in my XD9 and 1911s almost weekly. The first thing you need to do is drive a soft lead slug thru the barrel of your XD to see what diameter it is across the lands then load a cast bullet .001-.002 over that diameter, this applies to all guns.
Most 9mm guns aren't .355 (the standard for 9mm) there .356-.359
You don't have to have a HARD CAST(BHN 18 or higher) eather I use a softer bullet of about 15 BHN, you will have to check with JK bullets for a
14-16 BHN bullet.
I've never loaded Power Pistol so can't help with load data but any of the faster pistol powders(bullseye, red dot, unique, ACC #5 or #7 and others) will work with that 125gr bullet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot lead in the .45 and .40. Can't help with the 9mm. I've never experienced any leading to date, and shoot these guns in USPSA competitions. Its a nice way to get in more trigger time for less $$.

I use WST for the .40, and Unique for the .45.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J&K bullets are great! Nope, you won't save a dime, but you will shoot a lot more. I shoot the hell out of their 125gr cast RN 9mm. I have used Pistol power and I will have to see if I can find my notes on it. I tried it once, to be honest I went back to Winchester 231. Pistol power is a pretty "flammy" powder in my experience. I find 231 to make better loads. I shoot them in a Smith and Wesson 3913. I also shoot J&K cast .45 RN in my 1911. It is a ww2 Remington Rand and the barrel does have some roughness in the middle of the barrel and I do get some lead fouling there. I would say it is the barrels fault though. My Smith I never have any problems with leading.
The only other thing you asked is about using them in Glocks. I believe Glock says not to use cast bullets in their pistols, they use polygonal rifling and I guess it fouls more or something. On the other hand plenty of people shoot cast through their Glocks, I suppose that is something you will have to sort out for yourself. As soon as I can find my PP loads for 9mm I will post them up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot several thousand J&Ks through several different autos all using WST. I get some leading, but not enough to bother anything. You will likely get some serious leading with Power Pistol. It's great for jacketed but you don't want to push your lead bullets that hard and if you back off it'll likely be dirty. WST is just great all around with cast bullets.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i shoot lead in my .40 sub compact xd and full size xdm .40. infact, the xdm has only seen a hand-full of jacketed rounds. I use sns casting projectiles for .40, .380, 30/30, and .45acp. being able to load a box of .40 for less than 6 bucks makes me happy. i load 180gr for the xdm with 6.3 (from memory dont use this without looking it up) of Acurate #5.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot several thousand J&Ks through several different autos all using WST. I get some leading, but not enough to bother anything. You will likely get some serious leading with Power Pistol. It's great for jacketed but you don't want to push your lead bullets that hard and if you back off it'll likely be dirty. WST is just great all around with cast bullets.

I think WST is wha Mitch recommended for the cast bullets and he had some load data for it. I want to try to load some this weekend, does anyone know if Heartland sells WST?

Latest posts

Top Bottom