Shooting "not to kill"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some advice here folks, I have a family friend and she's in her 50s/60s and has her CHL. She just asked about a .22 to carry while walking but doesnt want to shoot to kill. I'm wholeheartedly against this idea. if you need a gun, then its life or death, at which point you shoot to kill. In my opinion a .22 is pretty likely to just piss off some crack head (She's in Memphis) and make matters worse. Any advice on how to respond?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 is better than nothing, and given her mindset, it might take an actual encounter for her to understand the folly of her logic.

if you're being attacked, i don't think you care whether or not the other guy lives. that's when you'll wish you had a more effective weapon.

the mindset is ignorant. even a .22 will kill, and you won't have the presence of mind in a life-or-death situation like it's some kind of matrix movie. That bad guy is going to kill you, he's not going to ask you for the permission.

Tell her to get a stun gun or pepper spray until she's ready to defend her life. otherwise she's more danger than help to herself and others carrying a gun. Hesitating because you're not sure is just as dangerous as not carrying a gun at all. Guns are for killing, if you don't want to kill don't carry a gun.

but what do i know, i'm just a millenial. that's just my .02 for what its worth.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do the research on the survival rate of people shot with larger handgun calibers,I believe it is around 80%. And show the difference between. And then show her the difference in bullets size 9mm ,.45 or whatever compared to the .22 maybe that will help her understand.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 is better than nothing, and given her mindset, it might take an actual encounter for her to understand the folly of her logic.

if you're being attacked, i don't think you care whether or not the other guy lives. that's when you'll wish you had a more effective weapon.

the mindset is ignorant. even a .22 will kill, and you won't have the presence of mind in a life-or-death situation like it's some kind of matrix movie.

Tell her to get a stun gun or pepper spray until she's ready to defend her life. otherwise she's more danger than help to herself and others carrying a gun. Hesitating because you're not sure is just as dangerous as not carrying a gun at all. Guns are for killing, if you don't want to kill don't carry a gun.

but what do i know, i'm just a millenial. that's just my .02 for what its worth.

Lol....damn millennials.....but well said

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do the research on the survival rate of people shot with larger handgun calibers,I believe it is around 80%. And show the difference between. And then show her the difference in bullets size 9mm ,.45 or whatever compared to the .22 maybe that will help her understand.

I agree with your idea, but i just want to say that if she's going into carrying a gun but has a 'i don't want to kill' mindset, the caliber is irrelevant. Mindset is just as important as the caliber of your weapon imo.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you shoot someone with intent to wound instead of kill, you're going to have a bad time and for the love of god don't tell that to the police

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't argue with people that want to "shoot to wound" but I do invite them to the Yellow Rose Indoor Range to shoot at a "bad guy" target. I put it about 30 feet out, and as they pick up their gun to shoot, I activate the transport motor, and the target comes toward them, bouncing and swaying.
Most empty the gun without hitting anything.
"Well, you sure scared him! Now do you want to learn defensive shooting?"

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with your idea, but i just want to say that if she's going into carrying a gun but has a 'i don't want to kill' mindset, the caliber is irrelevant. Mindset is just as important as the caliber of your weapon imo.
You are right about the mind set ,I was referring to the statement about the .22 pissing a crackhead off. The statistics of surviving a handgun wound are very high,and that is with calibers that are normally considered self defense rounds,so with a .22 as the OP stated that is exactly what would happen. That is why we train to shoot until the threat is gone which is multiple shots to center mass normally.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot to stop, not to kill. For legal reasons and your own peace of mind.
Not talking about where to aim, but your intent.
Unfortunately for the perp, the best way to stop someone also happens to be the way most likely to kill them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom