Shooting swinging steel with BB's???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've probably posted this before but I remember my dad setting me up a target to shoot my BB gun at in the garage. Either not enough "stuffing" or too many pumps for the stuffing that was in there before hitting the hardwood backstop. I still remember giving it my pumps, pulling the trigger and hearing about 13 ricochets around the garage and that was the end of me shooting the BB gun in the garage.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very similar experience.
As a kid I got a Daisy BB gun for Christmas (not the cool Red Ryder model) and in the back yard I aimed and fired at a mark on a rotten piece of wood.
Well it wasn't as rotten as I thought and the BB came directly back and hit me square in the chin.
I was afraid I'd gotten a dimple like Kirk Douglas.
There was no blood. I waited a while then snuck around to the driveway and went up to the side mirror on the car and there was no mark, no dimple or anything.
Never told the grownups about that one but it was a valuable safety lesson.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very similar experience.
As a kid I got a Daisy BB gun for Christmas (not the cool Red Ryder model) and in the back yard I aimed and fired at a mark on a rotten piece of wood.
Well it wasn't as rotten as I thought and the BB came directly back and hit me square in the chin.
I was afraid I'd gotten a dimple like Kirk Douglas.
There was no blood. I waited a while then snuck around to the driveway and went up to the side mirror on the car and there was no mark, no dimple or anything.
Never told the grownups about that one but it was a valuable safety lesson.
I did a similar thing with a Daisy (Red Ryder IIRC, it had a fake hammer, saddle-ring, and a v/peep sight). Got it in the mid-60s from an older cousin, so it may have been from the '50s.

Shot a tree about 12ft away and that thing came back and zinged me pretty good on the thigh through my jeans (lol, gave me a pretty healthy respect for ricochets). I remember killing a Robin and a Bluejay with that BB gun. It packed a pretty good punch.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom