Shop cooling suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the unit I bought is efficient enough that condensation is minimal compared to other units, and there’s a ring around the “slinger” fan blades that will pick up condensation from a little bowl in the bottom of the tray. The water will then get sprinkled on the condensation coil. Pretty nifty, huh?

This is a project in progress, too. More improvements to be made.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there’s a ring around the “slinger” fan blades that will pick up condensation from a little bowl in the bottom of the tray. The water will then get sprinkled on the condensation coil. Pretty nifty, huh?
They're pretty much all that way now, at least the ones I've bought for several years, but they still drip when it's humid. Ours (currently a GE 10k) causes a puddle on the concrete porch that runs off the edge.

YMMV. :drunk2:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I ended up buying a 22,000 BTU AC unit on sale, and I welded up a rolling frame that fits into the doorway of the back door to the shop. The unit sits on a shelf welded to a cross brace, with support braces underneath the shelf. I still need to run a 240V outlet to a spot near the AC unit, but the tricky part is done. I’ll soon add sheet insulation to the frame. Pics - and yes, that’s a doggy door, and yes, I know it’ll be a major source of heat infiltration. But my dogs will love being able to snooze near me while I tinker in the shop.

View attachment 137509 View attachment 137510
Nice set up!

I would add a sheet of foam insulation to each side of the plywood to block more heat from transferring through it.

That is unless you think the dogs would enjoy chewing on the foam. :)

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that has ac business, I got a 3 1/2 ton trade out system off him and installed in my shop. Just came out top of unit with one 12” elbow and blows in shop. It works very well and easy to install. If it goes out I’ll just get another old trade out and replace.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that has ac business, I got a 3 1/2 ton trade out system off him and installed in my shop. Just came out top of unit with one 12” elbow and blows in shop. It works very well and easy to install. If it goes out I’ll just get another old trade out and replace.
I take it that was a stand-alone unit (from a mobile home, etc.), since houses usually have the evaporator & circulating fan inside the home.

Great idea btw. :drunk2:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice set up!

I would add a sheet of foam insulation to each side of the plywood to block more heat from transferring through it.

That is unless you think the dogs would enjoy chewing on the foam. :)

Yep, my next step is to get some 2” sheet foam insulation. The dogs are past that kind of chewing stage ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom