Shop Gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have an older but fairly nice Model 60 I could use out there as I have three other 10/22 that I would not want out there. Hmmmmmm?????
Marlin 60 is what is hanging in one of my shops.
Best tip out there, and I apologize to not look back and give credit was to the person that said to make sure the muzzle is covered because mud dobber wasps will certainly plug the barrel if you have them in your area.
I have a cheap scope on mine so keep that covered as well. Those wasps will build the mud nests everywhere.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a shop on property, I think a 22LR pistol or 22MAG pistol would be good, because out there, you are more likely to need it for an animal of some kind. The Keltec 22MAG pistol seems like a good choice because it could take a hog/dog/yote and could still be used for a snake as long as you were safe about it. But I would worry about a burglar having access so I'd probably hide it well or just take it with me each time...I don't think a pistol safe is fast enough access for all situations.

I've recently had the same consideration (almost created a thread about it LOL), except for a garage gun instead of shop...Since a two-legged animal is more likely to be a threat in a populated area while working late nights with the door up, I chose an old 380 I no longer use for carry gun, hidden in one of many tool box drawers with an extra mag. However, ultimately, I decided with kids milling around, that it was better just to take it out there with me when I'm doing a project, mowing, etc.

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a shop on property, I think a 22LR pistol or 22MAG pistol would be good, because out there, you are more likely ot need it for an animal of some kind. The Keltec 22MAG pistol seems like a good choice because it could take a hog/dog/yote and could still be used for a snake as long as you were safe about it. But I would worry about a burglar having access so I'd probably hide it well or just take it with me each time...I don't think a pistol safe is fast enough access for all situations.

I've recently had the same consideration (almost created a thread about it LOL), except for a garage gun instead of shop...Since a two-legged animal is more likely to be a threat in a populated area while working late nights with the door up, I chose an old 380 I no longer use for carry gun, hidden in one of many tool box drawers with an extra mag. However, ultimately, I decided with kids milling around, that it was better just to take it out there with me when I'm doing a project, mowing, etc.
Smart Move.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reviving this thread because I have solved my need for a shop gun. Here's the story.

Years ago in CA I aquired a cheap shotgun from a guy only because he was selling a nice Marlin Model 60 I really wanted but he'd would only let both go together, for some reason. I think I only paid $150 for the two. The shotgun is a Savage 755A semi auto with an 18.5 barrel that is stamped Savage Model 720 on it. Shortly after I got it I took it out to shoot it and it would have an FTE after the first round fired. Every time! I never took the time to look into it or clean it up so it sat in the back of my gun safe. It's really in pretty nice shape for a lower-end 12ga.

It's been sitting in the corner of my shop for months now. Decided to take it out and shoot it. Same outcome. One shot and FTE. The brass on the shell would hang up on the ejection. Brought it back into my shop and took apart. Thoroghly cleaned it and put it back together. Seems to now shoot like a champ with the 5 shells I put through it. Recoil is a bit rough with the wood stock and plastic butt plate. I'll take it out next weekend and run 10-20 more shells through it to confirm. But I'm excited to get this gun up and back into action.

Now I just need to find out what the choke is on this factory Savage 720 18.5" barrel. I'm guessing cylinder bore or.........? Will get some plywood and paper target and check the pattern. Need to get some buckshot or larger BB to see how it shoots too.

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 5.jpg

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they swapped the barrel and the 755 originally came with a 26" or something? I would bet the bore is open choke since it is a home defense length barrel (assuming not a slug barrel).

Latest posts

Top Bottom